Aeris & Oceanic...what's their relationship?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

arkstorm

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Can anyone who is "in the know" tell me what is the relationship between Aeris, Oceanic and Hollis?

Are they subsidiaries of the same parent company?

With the exception of Hollis which is clearly more tech oriented it seems that Aeris and Oceanic compete with each other to sell the same gear.

The genesis of my question is that you can find an Aeris Contour BC for about $199 new at most of the e-tailers. However, the Oceanic Hera, which is essentially the same BC, just says Oceanic on it, is $569. Seems kind of odd?!?

Last edited:
If they're all owned by the same interest then I'm doubly curious as to why you would want to create competition for yourself. It seems that Aeris and Oceanic dilute each other's price/value.

They ARE owned by the same company. They haven't diluted each other's price or value.

Aqualung is Aqualung, Apeks, and Seaquest...

Phillip Morris Corp makes 17 brands of cigarettes.

Kraft foods make different brands of cookies.

and then there was general motors....................................

If they're all owned by the same interest then I'm doubly curious as to why you would want to create competition for yourself. It seems that Aeris and Oceanic dilute each other's price/value.

It works for Banana Republic/Gap/Old Navy. If your going to have a customer choose between you and a competitor, you still win when you're the competitor also.

They ARE owned by the same company. They haven't diluted each other's price or value.

Aqualung is Aqualung, Apeks, and Seaquest...

Right, Aqualung, Apeks and Sequest all make different products.

If you shop around you'll see that Aeris and Oceanic make a lot of the same products just with different badging. Things that come to mind besides for the Contour/Hera BC's are fins and computers.

And the prices differ. So why would someone want to pay $550 for a Hera BC when they can pay $200 for the Contour which is identical. That is the definition of dilution and devaluation. If I owned a Hera I'de be pissed.

I'm just curious about their business strategy.

The retail price for both is $499 doing a quick search :confused:

Gap/Banana Rep. are not doing the same things because they offer different models at different price points.

GM brands might be a better example of this but even amongst GM brands' models there are differences in luxury and finish.

But I challenge you to tell me the difference between the Oceanic Vortex V-16 fins and the Aeris Velocity XP? They are identical.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom