Key largo Dive vac.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

JPAPPAS

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I'm planning on my first ever dive vacation to Key Largo this FEb. 2010. We will be staying for 8 days at the Amoray Dive Resort. As this is my first dive trip and with limited diving experience to date - I'm looking of having a real good time - but there are a few things that do worry me - My biggest concern is that i do not ruin someone elses vacation because of my lack of seasoned dive experience ( have not been in salt water yet either i have all of my own equipment and am used to how it works etc..). Does this pose a big problem to you seasoned divers - maybe taking the time to buddy up with someone of my lack of experience or will i be the last one picked for tag. I have ten full dives here in Michigan and just recently completed my AOW certification - so i am book smart , but lack the experience others have.

A second concern is that im going to Amoray because they were recommended to me - does anyone have any stories they may want to share with me - they sound like a very good place to go to.

I appreciate any help you may send my way.

Thanks,

John

Amoray Dive is a good operation for a new diver to use.

Large slow boat can take out 40+ divers and they are used to newbies.

I used them on my very first dive trip.

Would I use them again - NO. Were they good for a first timer YES!

John -

You should go with the shallower dives (Benwood, City of Washington, Molasses Reef) and not do the deep wreck dives. Be upfront with your potential insta-buddy and let he/she decide if he/she would be comfortable with you as a buddy. I personally do not have an issue if it's stated upfront because we would stay within your comfort zone and will have discussed and agreed on the dive plan before we jumped into the water. You may want to hire a guide given its a new environment for you, referring to this being your first salt water dive so your first dive in the ocean where currents and surges are possible.

I stayed and dove with Amorary in Dec 2008, and it was my first tirp to Key Largo organized by a LDS up north. I did reefs, wrecks and a night dive with Amorary. I thought Amorary ran a great dive op, Captain Joe and his crew were knowledgeable, safe and accommodating. The rooms at Amorary were very clean and adequate with a mini-frig and microwave oven in each room. Definitely not the Four Seasons but it was suitable and I would have no issues staying and diving with them again. I also liked the convenience of having my room on the property where the boat was docked, so I did not have to drive to the dock each time but that's just me.

The next time I returned to Key Largo was in July 2009 for SB's Invade the Keys, and Amorary was not one of the operators SB used. For this trip, I did a large majority of my dives with Conch Republic. The exception was the last day when I dove with Silent World, also another good op but where their boat docks is not near their dive shop. Captain Gary, Brenda and the crew at Conch Republic are great, accommodating and knowledgeable, can't say enough wonderful things about Conch op. Their boats were very crowded but I believe it was because it was SB's ITK event. Conch Republic enjoys a huge following on SB and rightly so.

Both Amorary and Conch provide huge rinse tubs and racks to hang and to store our gear so we do not have to lug gear back and forth to our room. Based on my experience, I am a fan of both Conch and Amorary. You will not be disappointed with Conch or Amorary.

thanks for the great reply to all - as being new - i have a fear of ruining someone elses vacation more than my own - definitely i will be looking for the shallower dives and making sure that all around me know of my experience level - my instructor up here in michigan did tell me that there are those that do not want to dive with new divers and there are those that are more than willing to help out the new divers . i'm looking fwd. to the boat dives - a little nervouse - as ive never done that - hoping to get a couple of shore dives in and getting acclimated and properly waited before i go near any reefs.

I have been to Amoray's numerous times, one of my favorite places to stay in the Keys. The dive staff is very professional and I would suggest that you call ahead to inform them that you are a new diver and they will work with you and find you willing and helpful buddies. Most divers are delighted to help out the newer divers and you don't have anything to be nervous about. We have all been there. Just be certain to make others aware of your newcomer status so they can be prepared to help. You'll have a great time there.

The hardest thing about diving with new divers is their air consumption. In the Keys on shallow reefs, this is a non-issue. I like to Buddy up with the newbie. They are generally doing their best to dive their best, and the entire experience is new, and wonderful. It's kinda like having children, you get to see the world through there eyes! They ask lots of questions, and they are generally very conscience of their gear, and doing things correctly.

When they are running low on air, you just take them to the surface, and if you want to continue the dive, you can do so. I have no issue diving solo on shallow reefs. So IMO, it's all good. New divers are fun! I'll take a newbie over a self professed know it all any day of the week.

If you choose to do some of the deeper wrecks (you are AOW) then that is the time to really discuss things, and maybe rent a larger tank. I am still thankful to Brent (Former Owner of Deep Blue Divers at MM100, Key Largo). He was my buddy on my first deep wreck (Grove), and it was a wonderful dive. That was like dive 16 for me.

Make sure if you plan on doing a deep wreck, that you skip it if the current is running. However on many days, diving the Grove is a non-issue for new divers as the current can be non-existent.

I buddied up with a newbie (Female, and pretty!) during the Invasion in 08' diving the Grove off of Brents boat. Things went perfectly until she decided that it was time to end the dive, and took off for the nearest ascent line. I was already heading for our ascent line, but she got nervous, and took off. So we ascended on the wrong ball.. no big deal.

As for shore dives in the Keys, there are none, well not if you want to see anything other than sandy bottom, and sea grass. Boat diving is actually easier. Pay attention to the captain during the dive brief, and if you are not sure where the boat is, do a sneak and peek! You CAN go to the surface, and then descend back down, the dives are rather shallow.

Thanks,

Ive been talking to them and they assured me as all of you have - it's just nice to here it from the people that have gone there. I'm sending them the deposit tommorrow and will be practicing the wasted away again in margarittaville song on my guitar.
Maybe if any of you are around then in the keys - give my name a hollar and we'll dive together,

thx,

john

yes - i do go thru the air - but ive gotten 100% better and im now more relaxed once my elevator rides stopped - the night dive was one of my dives selected in the AOW - i'm not quite ready for that yet in the ocean - maybe a couple of more times around here to get used to it and be more relaxed - i want to take things at the pace i'm ready for- and not pushing it - even though ive been deep ( twice - 86 feet ) i'd still like to stay around the 30- 60 ft. depths - just takeing it slow until im comfortable.

john

It is pretty hard to get down to 60 ft. in the Keys (reefs) without a shovel. You should be fine. We did our first 50 dives down there and loved it. Do not miss out on the chance to do a night dive in the ocean. Hire a guide and go for it. I would suggest to hire a guide and do the Speigel Grove as well. It will add a lot to your confidence as well. You will be there and if you do not do it (the night dive and the SG) you will wish you had. Good luck and safe diving.

PS: Be sure to eat at the Buzzards Roost

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom