I did it

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

:hmmm:

Congratulations on getting certified. I will leave the rest for others.....however I will say that I do not believe that 128' is a wise depth choice for a brand new diver. Hopefully the rest of the newly trained divers that are reading this thread (since it is located in the BASIC Scuba Discussions area) took more away from their training and do not do this.

Congratulations! Looks like you are ready to start taking tech diver courses now. At the pace you are going, you can be trimix, full cave, and rebreather certified before Christmas. Yeah, way to go!!!!!!

Gilligan, I'm glad you accomplished something that is apparently giving you some joy/satisfaction, but you have the wrong attitude towards diving. Chasing depth is not diving and just because you reached a depth and lived to type about it does not mean it was a wise decision. It also doesn't necessarily mean that you did it properly or safely. Take a step back and start hitting some dives more in the profile of your experience level. There are a lot of awesome dives in the 60 foot or less range.

It's possible that he started an AOW course right after finishing his OW and the dives were done with close supervision...

After only 7 dives I've been down to 128 ft. twice with no trouble at all. For an old guy like me that was pretty cool. :D

Gilligan,

I see that you're a fairly new member of the board. Just as an FYI, a lot of people tend to express strong opinions about new divers exceeding their training. SCUBA is a relatively safe sport, but when people exceed their training without fully understanding the other aspects involved in their actions (you don't know what you don't know) things can get sideways pretty quickly.

The lack of details in your post and the way it comes across as a new diver chasing depth is likely to draw some criticism.

Dive safe!

It's possible that he started an AOW course right after finishing his OW and the dives were done with close supervision...

Good point, the way he typed it lead me to believe it was outside of a class but your right, that is possible.

Good point, the way he typed it lead me to believe it was outside of a class but your right, that is possible.

I interperet the OP's message to say that his first 2 POST CERTIFICATION dives were to 128'. I do not know many new divers that do not proudly count their certification dives in their dive count.

Perhaps the OP can clarify his situation because it would likely help to fend off some of the negative comments that are inevitably going to continue to appear because of the wording and apparent intent of the original post.

Since my previous post was objected to and sustained by an unknown MOD, I'll rephrase it.

I will be interested to see how other more experienced divers, instructors, and the general diving populace react to and offer advice to this diver. This should be both educational as well as entertaining.

Posted via Mobile Device

For prudent divers, the depth of the dive is not as remarkable as what you got to see/experience. While a 130 FSW is the depth limit for most diving agencies, they also recommend staying above 60 FSW until you are AOW and have passed a deep diving specialty. Like you, my first dive after OW was to 126 FSW. My instructor made some foolish decisions for me and it was my first "Trust Me" dive. I have since learned to never dive beyond my training, my experience or my equipment. I should also point out that my 126 FSW dive was also into a cave without lights (Blue Spring, Fl). This borders on criminal negligence and at one point he thought we had become separated.

However, I was also excited about my accomplishments and it wasn't until a year later when I finally realized the danger my instructor put me in. There is a lot to be learned here on ScubaBoard like how to avoid Trust Me dives, and I hope you stick around to soak up the wisdom and skills we have to offer. You don't need excessive depth to have fun in our sport!

Posts have been removed due to being inflammatory, insulting, off topic or referring to such.
This is Basic Scuba and there is no need for such unfriendliness.
Thanks!​

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom