Bridge debris from old Donald Ross Bridge

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mksmith713

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
Has anyone snorkelled or dived the debris from the old Donald Ross bridge?
How was the swim out?
Was it worth the effort?
What kind of critters were there?

Thanks in advance for any and all responses

If you find out any info. please let me know. When walking my dog on Jupiter Beach, I have seen divers on small boats or kayaks diving the bridge debris pile, but have never seen anyone beach dive it. I picked up a book on shore diving at Force-E and the book indicates that it can be dove from the shore though it looks like it might be a bit of a swim (by the location of the anchored kayaks and small boats). Sometimes there is a bit of boat traffic in that general area too. I've also seen boats congregating there, I suppose to obtain bait fish.

I have heard that nurse sharks have been known to hang out there and a REEF diver mentioned to me a few months ago that he witnessed some nurse sharks mating on a dive.

Again, if you learn anything more from a PM or any other source, I'd appreciate it if you could pass along the info. I am always looking for a beach dive in Northern Palm Beach county aside from blue heron bridge.

I going to try to swim out to the debris this evening and see what's happening out there.
Probably just snorkel out at first and dive it later.

I'll keep you all posted.

Hey- are you all talking about the barge-in-a-box area just north of Juno pier?

Attachments

• beach cam.jpg
    beach cam.jpg
    419.5 KB · Views: 272
The surf kicked my @ss to the point I abandoned the swim until later.
Serious rip current and big waves.

Not sure if this is what Steve is referring to.
This debris pile is about a mile or so north of the Juno Pier.
Can see the pier from here.

This might be a better Kayak or boat dive.
Definately not a good swim to snorkel.
Maybe even a shore dive.
About 500 yards offshore.

500 Yards.. *pfft* that was ONE of the events I swam in HS. That's a mere 20 laps! YOU can swim that with gear easy!! --

500 Yards.. *pfft* that was ONE of the events I swam in HS. That's a mere 20 laps! YOU can swim that with gear easy!! --

Walking my dog on Jupiter beach today, I saw a small dive boat at the site. It appears to be a bit longer than a football field, so I bet 500 feet is about right, +-100 feet. I used to do Triathlons many years ago (you'd never know that looking at me now!!!) and have swam some open water distances of a mile (or slightly more during practice) in the Great Lakes. I think the issue with Jupiter will be the current: I have been body surfing with my daughter at Jupiter and Juno beach and the near shore current can push you northwards very quickly, at times. If conditions are flat calm this might be a doable shore dive, though I bet we are nearing the seasonal closing of that window: fairly soon, the surf will start picking up and we'll have lots of happy surfers but it would likely be too rough to swim out for a dive. I wish we knew if the effort would be worth it.

Mike or Steve: if we have good marine conditions and you want to try to swim out for a dive, let me know. I might be game to try it on a saturday if conditions are just right (don't want to try it on an out going tide!!). I'd like to make sure we have some sort of shore support though, in case the currents are a problem.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom