Now's the time for diving in the Keys

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Chuck Price

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Howdy, all -

Just a reminder that if anyone's thinking of diving the Keys, now's the time. The nasty summer heat and humidity are gone, but the days are still warm and balmy. This is definitely our best part of the year. The other day the ocean was like glass.

Also, for anyone who read my last few dive reports, you'll know how I've been puzzling over a certain mystery spot outside of Pickles Reef.

Mystery solved!

I knew I was onto something, but I just didn't know how good it was until I heard the first-hand reports from my guests.

Best to all,
Cap'n Chuck
Premiere Charter

Wish I could, sounds like fun.

How's the weather the first week of January usually run?

Brutally cold, with termperatures plunging all the way down to a bone-numbing 65. Obviously not for the squeamish. It'll occasionally dip into the 50's for a day or so, but, once we're under way in the enclosed flybridge, the 'greenhouse effect' comes into play and, the next thing ya know, everybody's roasting to death and opening up the windows.

As far as water temps go, it usually dips down to around 67 to 68, so it's at least a 3-mil dive, if not a 5-mil. But lots of people dive here in the winter, so, as long as one's properly equipped, the weather's not that big a deal.

And, at the end of the day, you can sit on your porch sipping Mai Tais and think of your friends back home chipping icicles off their mustaches. It's not an easy job, commiserating like that, but somebody's got to do it.

Glad to hear the weather is good at the moment – I'll be in the Keys from 23-30th September diving from Key Largo down to Key West, hitting the Grove, the Duane, the Bibb, the Eagle, the Thunderbolt and the Vandenberg along the way.

Can't wait – last few dives have been testing dives in quarries over here, so ready to get out to the warm water again!

Mark

MarkUK:
Glad to hear the weather is good at the moment

I may have to revise my "the heat and humidity are gone" statement. My A/C went on this morning about 8:30. :)

Can't wait – last few dives have been testing dives in quarries over here, so ready to get out to the warm water again!

I can relate. The couple I took out last week said that their local dive spot was a quarry and was freezing cold, so I promptly dubbed it "Glacier Lake". Whenever they grew a little disinterested during our 5-day dive trip, all I had to do was mention Glacier Lake and their enthusiasm perked right back up!

BTW, your dive schedule looks like a blast. If you're looking to eliminate any of them to make room for something else, make it the Bibb. Assuming you do the Duane first, the Bibb won't offer anything new and it's a tough, deep dive.

Been I awhile since I've been down to the keys. Need to get down there soon!

Heat and humidity I can deal with, it will be nice to be warm – UK summer has been anything but!

I love the Bibb, I actually prefer it to the Duane as it is on its side and feels more like a 'proper' wreck. However, it is several years since I did the Bibb (did the Grove, Duane, Eagle, etc three years ago on my last assignment) so it will be interesting to see how much it has deteriorated, as even when I did it the mid-section was starting to weaken back then.

Also looking forward to getting a couple of days on the Vandenberg. I dived the Mighty O three months after it sunk and it already had plenty of life on it, so I am assuming similar with the Vandenberg.

Mark

I'm suffering from saltwater withdrawal. I need to be down there...

Just came back Sunday from coral planting off of Largo. Water was 87 degrees on the shallow reefs where we were planting. Too damn hot for me. Air temp was around 90 during the day and 78 at night. I've dove January three years in a row off Islamorada. Lowest water temp I remember was 74 surface and 63 bottom on the Eagle. It got down to about 45 at night and only 57 in the daytime if my computer was correct. Diving was OK but the SI was pretty tough since I didn't have any other protection and it was windy. Definitely glad to get back in the water.

MarkUK:
I love the Bibb, I actually prefer it to the Duane as it is on its side and feels more like a 'proper' wreck.

Nicely phrased, and I agree. I don't have any interest in the 'modern' wrecks, but I think the Spanish galleons are pretty cool, just because they went down through natural means -- as referred to a case of dynamite.

I've asked the Duane divers why they didn't have any interest in the Bibb and it's mainly that the Bibb, being on its side, makes for a much deeper dive. So you can't blame them for preferring the Duane, but I like your attitude better.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom