Scuba v Snorkelling

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sandpipa

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hi all,

Having just returned from my first week's diving in the Red Sea, I have to be honest.

I did some lovely drift and semi-drift dives from Sharm at Ras Mohammed and Tiran, plus the Thistlegorm and some really pretty local dives.

However - in terms of ease and observing beautiful fish, I'm afraid nothing compared with just snorkelling off the beach at the north of Naama Bay. Swim 50 metres past the crowds of bonkers Russians, and you're away. It was lovely to look into a big parrotfish's eyes, and listen to him nibbling away at his dinner. It was great to not only watch a pair of lovely bannerfish, but to have them come right up to my nose to watch me curiously. I couldn't do that on any of the dives.

Tigerman - you are right. It killed me to watch the Russians swigging brandy on the beach in 35C heat at 7.30 in the morning before staggering drunkenly on the coral. I watched them underwater lurching around in their "reef shoes" while I was snorkelling, saw the fish scatter for cover and the chunks of coral break off and sink. It made me feel physically sick, actually.

Do you think there's anything that can be done to stop this happening?

Sandpipa.

Back
Top Bottom