Dive Team Tryout Today....

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Wildbill

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I work for a County Sheriff's Office and I did Dive Team tryouts. It was a lot more physical than I had antisipated. I started with a 400 yard swim non stop with no aids (no fins, mask, snorkel) in under 13 mins. then had to float with face out of water for 15 mins. Next came an 800 yard with aids and had to do under 20 mins. Finally my mask was blacked out and I had to do an under water obstacle finding my way with a line over or around several submerged objects. To end with In a four square grid setup on the floor of the pool I had to locate by feel a penny, handcuff key, paper clip, 9mm ammunition round and a small screw driver.

I think I did well except the 400 yd swim, I have not done much surface swimming lately and it showed I was beat.

I should hear if I got on the Team tomorrow or next day, If I can make it on I am looking forward to the extra training and classes that will be available to me.

Wish me luck, :please:

Wildbill

That started off sounding like the PADI DM swim test...until the blackout part...although I think that would be kinda cool to try.

Good luck

Sounds interesting. I saw an old (3 or 4 years I think) doc on tv the other day about the NY Dive Team and it looked interesting though I'm not sure it is for me.

Fingers crossed

Jonathan

good luck on the dive team i am also a deputy sheriff and i have proposed a dive team to my sheriff haven't heard any thing yet let me know what kind of trainig that you get

sounds great
they are disbanding the metropolitan police diving teams and now use volunteers and contractors and i am thinking of applying, my instructor has done alot of work for the police in and around london so he has been given first offers on who he would like to put forward, sounds like a grim job (if you have ever been in the thames) but sounds interesting to me! :)

That sounds pretty cool. Good luck!

Is there any decent diving aroung Port Charlotte? My in-laws live there, so I usually get there twice a year.

Rob

Wildbill,

Good luck in your process to join your Public Safety Dive Team. I've been a member of my department police dive team for a few years now and I can tell you it has been some of the most exciting and rewarding times of my career. You won't regret it.

Indypddiver

Good luck. Sounds like you did good. Keep us posted. And btw, we're neighbors. I'm with the LCSO Underwater Ops Unit...just south of you. Let's hook up sometime for a dive.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom