Jupiter GG question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

djtimmy77

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
When 20 divers jump in the water, do the GG's swim away? Do you need to be the first person off the boat like if you want to see sharks/turtles? We are seriously considering diving up here to see the GG's. Usually dive further south due to the availability of 6-pack charters.

Anybody know of a 6 pack in Jupiter?

When 20 divers jump in the water, do the GG's swim away? Do you need to be the first person off the boat like if you want to see sharks/turtles? We are seriously considering diving up here to see the GG's. Usually dive further south due to the availability of 6-pack charters.

Anybody know of a 6 pack in Jupiter?

Hypnautical Charters is an outstanding 6-pack operation out of Lake Park Marina. Although geared to spear fishing/lobster hunting they are flexiable. If the GG are on wrecks they tend to stay put. On reefs they move about. Turtles & sharks?

In my limited experience...when I have been on boats that take a lot of divers, the only ones who get to see the turtles and sharks are the first ones off the boat, usually the regulars. This is echoed by my dive buddies who have significantly more experience than me, plus they really don't like to take their super expensive camera rigs on crowded boats. They want to get some good shots of the GG's which is much less likely to happen if the GG's are swimming away from a big crowd of divers.

Does Hypnautical run all the way up to Jupiter on a weekend trip?

In my limited experience...when I have been on boats that take a lot of divers, the only ones who get to see the turtles and sharks are the first ones off the boat, usually the regulars. This is echoed by my dive buddies who have significantly more experience than me, plus they really don't like to take their super expensive camera rigs on crowded boats. They want to get some good shots of the GG's which is much less likely to happen if the GG's are swimming away from a big crowd of divers.

Does Hypnautical run all the way up to Jupiter on a weekend trip?

I hear you. I generally only dive 6-packs cause I just don't like alot of commotion on a boat. I am sure they do. Call Capt John tomorrow to verify. Scott

My experience is that they are not very skiddish but with enough
commotion they would move away from the area a bit. I think a
six-pack charter would do well up there. There is a limited number of
charters up that way (two I think). I don't dive up there often so there
may be more that I'm not aware of. Who does Scubaworks use ?
To me it seems a great area for a six-pack, deeper dives, fewer divers
in the group to manage. Just my 500 psi on things in Jupiter !

I've been diving the wrecks the last few weeks in Jupiter to see the GG's. Even with a full boat, there are plenty of GG's hanging around for everyone to see. They are slow moving and don't move very far away from the wrecks unless someone is chasing them. Even then, they'll look for shelter under or inside the wrecks rather than swimming away. On the reefs, however, they may swim away if there are too many people in the area and they feel threatened.

Sharks, on the other hand, will move away more rapidly, and usually the first divers down will be the only ones to see them before they take off. Turtles are slow movers, so it takes them a while before they retreat from a group of people.

This is my experience only.

My experience is that they are not very skiddish but with enough
commotion they would move away from the area a bit. I think a
six-pack charter would do well up there. There is a limited number of
charters up that way (two I think). I don't dive up there often so there
may be more that I'm not aware of. Who does Scubaworks use ?
To me it seems a great area for a six-pack, deeper dives, fewer divers
in the group to manage. Just my 500 psi on things in Jupiter !

Scubaworks feeds to Emerald and Blue Tang Charters out of Jupiter and The Wetter the Better out of Palm Beach Inlet...

I dove with JDC a few weeks ago and posted this video to youtube and with a link in a different SB thread.... we had a completely full boat (due to the sunday afternoon dive for $45 special) and in some portions of the montage, you can see other divers. The GG did not seem too terribly shy the day we were out.

YouTube - Diving with Goliath Grouper at Wreck of MG 111 in Jupiter Florida

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom