Safety stop anchor double as a sausage?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Granny Scuba

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I am trying not to become over equipped....
but at the same time I want to ensure safety.

Is it possible that a safey stop anchor could double as a saugage?
Or is there some other rmultifuntion item?
Thanks!

Thanks!

Not sure what a "safety stop anchor" is, however you can use something called a Surface Marker Buoy both to mark your location on a safety stop and as "safety sausage" to wave at boats on the surface.

The item below, for example is a "Carter Personal Float". The one shown is probably bigger than you need, however they make one that's 10' long and holds less than a cubic foot of air and can be inflated either underwater or orally at the surface.

On the surface, you can blow it up and wave it, or clip your weights to the bottom, which will leave it standing vertically with no effort on your part.

The whole thing rolls up to about 5" wide x 2" thick and fits in a pocket. I'd never dive anywhere without at least one. I own both the one in the picture and the 50lb model.

Terry

(edit: I'm not sure what the deal is with the dive flag. I've had several of these and although they come with a scotch-lite reflector on top, none had a flag)

PF%2075%20photo.gif

Last edited:
What is a "safety stop anchor" ?

Last edited by a moderator:
What is a "safety stop marker" ?

From the Mares.com website.
415708_safety_stop_marker_buoy.png

Google will actualy come up with many of these.

So its an SMB with lots of nasty dangly parts. Wonderful.

So its an SMB with lots of nasty dangly parts. Wonderful.

You just seem to forget WHAT forum you're in.:depressed:

The safety anchor I was looking for is supposedly so strong that you can do your safety stop in rough water and it will hold tight independently on the surface......I dont see why it wouldnt work as a sausage too.???

Inflatable Safety Stop Anchor or Site Marker. Not a traditional lift bag but this is a perfect marker to allow surface support to see where your safety stop is being performed. You can also use this as a scuba dive site or snorkeling area marker.

homemade: http://www.scuba2.asn.au/_documents/supersausage.pdf

Safety stop anchor United States Patent 5839931
Disclosed is a safety stop anchor including a buoy distantly connected to a diver via a fixing rope. Before the diver returns to the surface, the buoy helps the diver to easily and relaxedly stay at the required safety decompression stop or stops to avoid the caisson disease. A buoyancy control valve is provided on the buoy so that heavy loads can be more easily carried underwater by a neutral buoyancy and to ascend to the water surface.

Fits in its own little bag 6 x 2 x 2 inches, and has a clip to mount to your bc, or just throw it in a pocket. When you need to do a safety stop, simply pull it out and inflate with your regulator. The large, visible, orange float that measures 2' long and a foot wide will float to the surface. You clip on to the included string with clips at both 10 and 15 foot to accurately wait out your safety stop time while signaling boats where you are. Great safety item and a must for diving in areas with currents!

Thanks!

Manta makes a nice lift bag/smb that is open bottom for easy filling, and has an OPV. It has 50 Lbs of lift.

It would make a nice stable "safety stop anchor" as well. However, I'm sure some people will tell you (and some people will try to me more abrasive than others about it) that you should learn good buoyancy, and just use the "anchor" as a reference point, and not something to hold you in place. :wink:

SMB013.jpg

The safety anchor I was looking for is supposedly so strong that you can do your safety stop in rough water and it will hold tight independently on the surface......I dont see why it wouldnt work as a sausage too.???

Would you explain a little more what you mean when you say "hold tight".

You are done with the dive, so you start going up. You get to where you want to make your stop and then.... ? that's where I'm lost with the hold tight independently of the surface.

It is amazing to me that a patent was actually granted for a lift bag with a string attached.

All he best, James

Back
Top Bottom