Manado and Bunaken with D90 and Aquatica

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mike Veitch

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
Well, its been one heck of a long time since I have posted any shots here, simply because... well... I haven't taken any! haha

That has all changed now, I finally broke down and bought a new camera system, the Nikon D90 and an Aquatica housing. Suffice to say that i really like the new setup, the autofocus is eons faster than the D70, the screen is a wonder to behold as it seems around 40 times larger than the old one, and the video feature is a cool little gimmick that i haven't really used much although I did take a few clips with the fisheye which is a great perspective on video. I also like the great resolution of the camera, the clarity of the photos are immediately apparent as soon as I zoom into 100% plus in Lightroom.

I am also very impressed with the new Aquatica housing. You can tell that Blake et al. have really listened to the WP community in our wants and needs. The first thing i noticed was the fact the housing is much more compact than my old one. The buttons (especially the shutter wheel) are a lot easier to reach and the construction of these are also new, they are a larger and have nice large grooves for those cold water divers out there. The other obviously new feature is the sexy black colour and a great new housing construction which seems a lot sturdier than the old design. There are two zincs on the bottom of the housing to avoid any deterioration of the metal. Two other new features are a port lock as well as a great new camera tray that slides in and out of the housing on rails very quickly and smoothly, as well as a lens release lever. All of the buttons are clearly marked and the viewfinder and window are large and easy to look through. I did not purchase the large viewfiner (my eyes are real good and I am broke now :) ) so i can't comment on that. There is also a built in TTL assembly and leak alarm standard when shipped.
I am very happy with this combination and it has inspired me to get back to shooting, i have done more dives with a still camera in the last two weeks than in the last two years haha :wink:

Enough blathering, here are some photos to peruse. Needless to say, i was excited to jump into blue water and wide angle for a few days in Bunaken rather than my regular murky mucky frontyard :wink: although as i found out, Manado has some great macro too.

The macro:

8231_164560415210_690615210_4088375_6221643_n.jpg

8231_164560410210_690615210_4088374_7308932_n.jpg

8231_164560435210_690615210_4088378_5925566_n.jpg

8231_164560450210_690615210_4088380_3943655_n.jpg

Fabulous! Thanks for sharing!

Awesome work Mike !!!

Awesome shots, Mike. I especially enjoyed the over/under and all the reflection shots. The snake was terrific. Nice to see you back.

Mike, can I have your babies?

Thanks for the comments everyone, (cept that dirty hammerhead man :p ) it sure is great to be back in the swing of things.

now working on photos from Bangka Island and Lembeh :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom