Wreck Information Please?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

diverbrian

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Near the start of July, I am going to Tobermorey. I would like info on the following two wrecks. I will preface this by saying that the one that lies just within sport diving limits seems to be considered to be the easier dive for some reason.

The wrecks are the Arabia and the Forest City. I plan to do some accelerated deco on them for at least the first dive that I do. These are "morning wrecks", we are doing two dives each on them and then diving a shallow wreck twice in the afternoon.

Any info on best profiles and that type of thing would be appreciated.

Arabia sits between ~95ft & ~115ft. With a length of ~125ft, you can easily swim the length on a single dive. It's often very dark and there can be some fast currents. The wreck has a very nasty habit of killing divers that think they're better than they are - including one just recently.

Forest City between ~55ft (bow) and drops off to ~150ft (stern). The wreck is bigger by quite a bit than the Arabia and with the depth changes can be a little tricky - you need to pay attention to where you are. It's another wreck that has killed more than once.

These are probably the two toughest recreational dives at Toby - if you're not experienced with this kind of stuff, think twice, plan carefully and start out easy. There's nothing down there worth getting hurt or killed for.

Steven

The reason that I posted here is that I am well aware of the reputations of said wrecks as "widow makers."

I wanted to see precise reasons as to why. I have enough experience to know when to bail if it gets too dicy. I am going down with double hundreds and a deco bottle to more easily handle the free-flows that the Arabia has a reputation for. I just recently completed the training in how to use the above. I was aware of the fact that the Arabia is a cold and dark dive. I also have heard the terms fascinating, beautiful, and intact. I was told to check out the deadeyes down there. I was not aware of the currents. Now, I am forewarned. Thanks in all sincerity!

The Forest City was one that I threw in because I knew that it got down to 150 ft. I don't plan to go below 125 ft. to give myself cushion on my dive plan. My plan will read 130 ft. I only knew about one death on that one. I didn't know that there had been more.

Sorry - I didn't mean to impugn your skills. They're both nice wrecks and if you have technical training and experience you should be fine. Like many "borderline" technical dives, they attract a fair number of folks that aren't prepared.

Too many recreational divers pushing too hard at the limits = maneating dive site. It's easy to dive deep. Or cold. Or dark. Or on a wreck. It's when you combine all of those things and then something goes wrong that you really need to know what the heck you're doing to recover.

Have a great trip - I don't get up there nearly as often as I like, but hope to return next season.

Steven

reefraff once bubbled...
Sorry - I didn't mean to impugn your skills. They're both nice wrecks and if you have technical training and experience you should be fine. Like many "borderline" technical dives, they attract a fair number of folks that aren't prepared.

Too many recreational divers pushing too hard at the limits = maneating dive site. It's easy to dive deep. Or cold. Or dark. Or on a wreck. It's when you combine all of those things and then something goes wrong that you really need to know what the heck you're doing to recover.

Have a great trip - I don't get up there nearly as often as I like, but hope to return next season.

Steven

Hey, you don't know me. I don't know me sometimes and a good reminder is in order for some people. I don't like to see divers get hurt or killed diving beyond their abilities either. I was asking because I know that these have a reputation for being "dangerous wrecks" and I like to have fun. That means planning for potential problems. I also don't have any desire to pay off my ex-girlfriend's house and car with my life insurance, LOL.

I am diving the Monrovia in Thunder Bay this Friday as a "tune-up" to this trip with my Tech Diving instructor. I plan to have great time. On the third day of the trip, Sunday, we are supposed to be diving the Niagra II. As that is an "artificial reef", it took me a little bit of time to get info on that one. Obviously, I have the info now. (Thanks to Ric Mixter and an old TV show up here named Great Lakes Indepth.

Thanks for the website info. I really enjoy information on old wrecks.

Have a great day!

reefraff once bubbled...
The wreck has a very nasty habit of killing divers that think they're better than they are - including one just recently.
Steven

Geez Steven, you seem to be giving good advice. Good job. Just make sure you get the story straight when you are talking about divers dying. Especially when some of the members on this board knew him.

There's a whole thread about it down in the ontario section, complete with links to articles that explain what happened to him. It wasn't an accident. Go read it dude, I'm not going to give you a personal tutorial session.

Bella, I happened onto that thread this morning before you posted. I have the same information that was in there and I am not judging anything. Things happen and this was one of those cases. That will not prevent me from enjoying the wrecks that I dive, but I appreciate your concern.

I am sorry for your loss and the loss to the divers in your local area in the tragic death of that gentleman. I wish that I could say more on that, but as someone who has lost close relatives, I can attest to the fact that strangers expounding on how sorry they are doesn't do any good. Nor does the old "if there is anything that I can do...." line.

Thanks for steering anyone reading this thread straight. It is apparently in memory of someone who meant a great deal to a great many people. May we all be remembered that fondly.

Back
Top Bottom