Ideas for Emergency Assistance Plan?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

binduwavell

Registered
Reaction score
Hiya,

I'm currently a DMT on Koh Tao in Thailand. I have to complete an Emergency Assistance Plan. So far I'm planning on:

• Flowchart similar to the PADI Accident Management Slate
  • A,B,C,D,S details
  • Quick guide for handling bites and stings
  • Escalation plan for contacting EMS - radio and phone for our shop, other shops with speed boats, nearest chambers, evac helicopter and local DAN office.

Anything else folks think would be really helpfull or cool?

Thanks!

-- Bindu

Make sure you have the frequencies for the radio and a list of all the local shops that have oxygen. Quite a few in Thailand don't. Especially on the islands where not many shops offer nitrox because of the expense of oxygen.

don't forget the cash for the baksheesh

My plan always points out the location of all emergency equipment including; first aid kit, o2 kit, note taking supplies, location of radios, phones, important contact numbers.

Scott

I have been in emergency medicine and search & rescue for over 10 years now, so this is a quick tip for you.

If there were to be an accident, how would the person be evacuated for treatment? Ambulance, helo, boat, etc. Many dive sites can be accessed by an ambulance but some patients may need a helo in order to get to the hospital in a timely manner. If this is the case, be prepared to tell the dispatcher about winds and air hazards in the area (power lines, trees, etc.)

Just be aware of your location and surroundings is my tip I guess.

:D

Thanks for the advice. I esp. like the ideas of pointing out where stuff is on the boat and the environmental assesment for emergencies flowchart! We have 02 on board, we have more at the shop and we have a recompression office (affiliated with a chamber on another island) here that has TONS of 02.

We also have a mono-chamber. Any thoughts about the pros and cons of send folks to a mono-chamber if we have a "walk-in" (is that the right term?) within 1 hour speed boat or slightly longer by helo ride???

I don't get the bakshesh comment?

binduwavell once bubbled...

I don't get the bakshesh comment?

When traveling in some parts of the world we used to joke about how well baksheesh, or bribe money, greased the skids to get some seemingly impossible task done, and as often as not the bribe route was much cheaper than the legal but laboriously slow route.

binduwavell once bubbled...
Hiya,

Anything else folks think would be really helpfull or cool?

Thanks!

-- Bindu

I have my blood type, DNR, Organ Donor and my DAN# tattoo'd on my back.

But most people would settle for a DAN dog tag...

O.K.....What is DNR

I know the others, but not DNR...

Back
Top Bottom