Full face mask recommendations? [Archive] - ScubaBoard - Scuba Diving Forum - Diving Social Network

View Full Version : Full face mask recommendations?

Sponsored Link
steelsaint
September 17th, 2009, 01:23 PM
I am looking into getting a full face mask with possible com system attachment. Is there any recommendations or any I should stay away from?
Basically it use will be for recreation diving and to perform Underwater marriage ceremonies.

Ocean County Diver
September 17th, 2009, 02:48 PM
I use to use a OceanReef FFM and I really liked it. I ended up no longer using it after a while because I always had an issue with it leaking air out of it once I became fully inverted (ie. looking under rocks or parts of shipwrecks looking for bugs) I spoke to several LDS and even OceanReef but no one seemed to be able to identify/remedy the problem.

A couple things to remember. You will need an adjustable reg to go along with your FFM. In addition, you need to carry a spare mask with you in case the reg on the FMM malfunctions and you need to bail out of it.

steelsaint
September 17th, 2009, 03:18 PM
I read where some masks can be used with any regulator. Is it just this model mask or is it the whole line of Ocean reef masks?

Ocean County Diver
September 17th, 2009, 04:01 PM
It's certainly possible. I haven't used a FFM in quite a number of years and haven't kept up with them. If the manufacturer states they don't need an adjustable reg, then I would go with that.

Hallmac
September 17th, 2009, 04:59 PM
Take a good look at these. I think you will find the colors and performance top notch.

Ocean Technology Systems - New Page (http://www.oceantechnologysystems.com/OTSffm.shtml)

HowardE
September 17th, 2009, 05:05 PM
I have an OTS Guardian. It's very comfortable compared to the other ones I've tried. The communication system is also very high quality.

steelsaint
September 17th, 2009, 06:46 PM
With the OTS Guardian, Does it make a difference if its positive pressure vs. non-positive pressure? Will one go through your air supply quicker? Can it be used on a 1st stage regulator I already have?

TC
September 17th, 2009, 06:56 PM
The Guardian is semi-positive pressure, as soon as your under the water it becomes positive pressure but not while you're at the surface. Positive pressure will go through your supply a bit quicker. (Guardian isn't offered PP) It should work with most first stages.

And they are more comfortable than the AGA's. :D

EODiver
September 19th, 2009, 09:57 PM
Guardians have a recall, check into the AGA (Interspiro Divator), it is rock solid reliable and used by most Public Safety Teams. They aren't uncomfortable, just make sure that you get the swivel at the 2nd stage, it really helps with mobility.

TC
September 20th, 2009, 04:46 AM
The issue with the Guardian should be resolved pretty quickly.

OTS is actually recommending against the swivels now- they've had a couple of recalls and the potential problem still exists. (Camming can unscrew the swivel while in use.

The maintenance costs on the Guardian should be significantly lower for the Guardian.

See if you can find anyone in your area that stocks one or both and try them out is you can.

Reef
September 22nd, 2009, 11:39 AM
The issue with the Guardian should be resolved pretty quickly.

Here is the latest on this:

Explanation: OTS had a few visors dislodged when a hard impact hit the visor/frame. Examples: Tank falling out of holder, Shark cage in heavy seas smashed side of 2nd stage breaking it and dislodging visor. Over 1,000 GFFM were sold with only 5 incidences but OTS felt they would redesign the upper and lower frame assembly which is happing now. ... Read More Absolutely NO one was hurt. This was a self implemented recall (we care about our customers). This will take about 90 days to rework the existing tool. So, OTS also made a quick fix. Four spring type clips which are inserted on the frame which holds the assembly tight together. How so, about 25 lbs. of pull will dislodge current visor. With clips it takes 106 lbs! Clips will be available in the next couple of weeks.

ALAN243
September 22nd, 2009, 04:04 PM
IMO after using every brand out there, for me its either the AGA or the kirby morgan EXO... The KM fits me a little better, with the AGA I had to take a piece of rope and insert it in the top of the mask to keep it sealed

Hallmac
September 22nd, 2009, 05:22 PM
The AGA and the Guardian may look alike at first glance, they are totally different when it comes to fit.

The recall is nothing to be concerned about, every scuba manufacture has had one or two or ten.

Find a place that has one and try it out.

jlovold
September 22nd, 2009, 05:43 PM
I am looking into getting a full face mask with possible com system attachment. Is there any recommendations or any I should stay away from?
Basically it use will be for recreation diving and to perform Underwater marriage ceremonies.

The AGA is OK, and I guess the Guardian should be too.

But, what would be really cool is to marry people wearing a hard-hat-suit (Siebe Gorman or equivalent) That would be really awesome... A lot more comfortable too!

muddiver
September 22nd, 2009, 06:54 PM
You want a bronze bucket, contact the Historical Diving Society.

Or, buy a DESCO pot air hat.

My vote is for the Kirby Morgan M-48. The regulator pops off so you can breath and talk on the surface. It will accept underwater communications. You can use your own regulator, if it has a long enough mouth piece tube (go to Kirby Morgan Dive Systems | Support (http://www.kirbymorgan.com/Support/SupportMain.html) down load manual and check). Less volume than AGA or Guardian. Pop off regulator and use standard octo in loss of air situation. Many other good reasons to try.

steelsaint
September 24th, 2009, 01:24 PM
I appreciate all the help. I also have to factor in the cost. I want quality, but I don't want to pay for the name.

blackhawk845
November 29th, 2010, 08:55 AM
I have been useing a OceanReef space raptor. It has better feid of vis looking down (you can see your toes with out bending fwd or turing your head left/right. and if you turn the outlet port around (it is made to move) you can hag around up side down but it is still a bit hard to exhale. you can pick your poison. I think Ocean reef has a good product. O and the comm units work well.

OCEAN REEF, Inc | Products.Neptune Space Raptor (http://www.oceanreefgroup.com/products/ffm/products_neptunespaceraptor.html)

explorer08
November 30th, 2010, 11:59 AM
I appreciate all the help. I also have to factor in the cost. I want quality, but I don't want to pay for the name.

For your purposes you also should take the Scubapro mask into consideration.
FULL FACE MASK - SCUBAPRO-UWATEC (http://www.scubapro.com/americas/english/scubapro-products/masks/masks/full-face-mask)
If you don't use it for commercial diving, IMHO the price-performance-relationship is unbeatable.

Sponsored Link

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.1