Halcyon ACB vs. OMS No-Sag pockets

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

VTernovski

Contributor
Reaction score
I am getting OMS SS backplate, and will still need to carry additional 12lb. I can't decide if I should get No-Sag pockets to keep it "all OMS" or get ACB. I heard good and bad things about ACB and so far I only heard bad things about No-Sag... are they really that bad???

please confer.

-Vadim

If you get the ACBs, go for the smaller ACB20s - they are more streamlined than the bulkier ACB30s. They take either a hard 10lb weight each, or soft 5lb weight each.

No experience with the OMS stuff except what I've read here.

The "No Sag" pockets are very poorly designed. I don't know what OMS was thinking when they made these things.

I personally do not like integrated weights at all. I would stick with a SS BP and/or a traditional weightbelt.

12 lbs is nothing on a weight belt...that's like one four pounder and a two pound bullet per side...way cheaper too.

You could also go with a P-weight or channel weight which should come in at around 6 pounds plus. If you did that you could have two three pound weights on your belt max.

Way more streamlined.

as ElectricZombie
stated go with a weight belt and wieghts but if your interested in the OMS PocletsI will sell them to you a set real cheap half of what you would buy them for great deal as far as price.

medic13,

Yeah, Tyler and Dave looked dumfounded when you showed them those pouches...

Works good. Comfortable, can be slid up or down on the waist to fine tune trim, more streamlined than the ACB's. That's what I have. Oh, and since it is stretchy, it is depth compensating too.

I went through this same dilema when switching over from a Ranger to BP/wings. In the end I went with a XS Scuba weight belt for two reasons. I like to be able to put my BP on without it weighing more than an anchor and two, if you need to take your BP off U/W then you better have some weight around your waist (especially if diving dry).

I started off with an IQ Pack and No-Sag pockets. The pockets were the first thing to go. Later I evolved to a simple backplate and wings (using the OMS backplate and ditching the 100lb bungee wings in favor of a Pioneer 36), with Halcyon ACB+ pockets. I've since ditched the ACB+ and am now using a simple weight belt.

Personally, I wouldn't bother with the No-Sag pockets, and I'd seriously consider not using the ACB pockets either. If you feel you absolutely need the weight integration of attached weights, then either ACB system is a good solution, but you might want to ask yourself if integrating weight causes more problems that it solves.

Alan

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom