Nitrox clarifications

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

k374

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I was reading THIS FAQ and it states:

For scuba purposes it is generally recommended that any mix with greater than 50% oxygen is treated as pure oxygen and that any equipment which may be exposed to a mixture with greater than 40% oxygen be oxygen compatible and made oxygen clean prior to use

Does this mean that all regulators are able to handle EAN32 and EAN36 even if the nitrox compatibility says "No"?

Another question, why would I use Nitrox to extend my bottom time when at depth (say 85-90ft) my bottom time will be quite limited by the amount of air I have available anyway?

I was reading THIS

Another question, why would I use Nitrox to extend my bottom time when at depth (say 85-90ft) my bottom time will be quite limited by the amount of air I have available anyway?

Repetitive dives.

For scuba purposes it is generally recommended that any mix with greater than 50% oxygen is treated as pure oxygen and that any equipment which may be exposed to a mixture with greater than 40% oxygen be oxygen compatible and made oxygen clean prior to use

Yes
Does this mean that all regulators are able to handle EAN32 and EAN36 even if the nitrox compatibility says "No"?

Yes

You say that now... but after you dive a little more... you'll have a better consumption rate, and it will make a difference, and like dave says... repetitive dives.

Actually the 40% "standard" is a scuba industry item only. A more official standard of the Compressed Gas Association calls anything greater than 23% oxygen an oxygen enriched mixture and treats it the same as oxygen.

Edit: before I got it typed, Howard had already answered exactly as I would have.

I think your questions have been answered.

Nitrox comes in handy for flat deep profiles, and repetitive dives.

Many say they feel more energized, and refreshed on Nitrox.. I agree.

Nitrox comes in handy for flat deep profiles, and repetitive dives.

I guess it depends upon your definition of deep, but I wouldn't call EAN a 'deep' gas.

NOAA No-Deco Air Dive Table give 20 minutes at 110ft and a ppO2 of .7.
NOAA EAN 32 No-Deco Dive Table gives 30 minutes at 110ft and a ppO2 of 1.4.
NOAA EAN 36 No-Deco Dive Tables gives you 30 minutes at 110ft and a ppO2 of 1.6.

NOAA No-Deco Air Dive Table gives 60 minutes at 60ft.
NOAA EAN 32 No-Deco Dive Table gives 100 minutes at 60ft and a ppO2 of 1.0.
NOAA EAN 36 No-Deco Dive Table gives 100 minutes at 60ft and a ppO2 of 1.1.

Diving EAN has benefits in the shallower ranges, not the deeper ones.

Diving EAN has benefits in the shallower ranges, not the deeper ones.

This is somewhat off-topic.. and being the Basic Scuba forum, I won't expound too much. But even at 150 or 160 feet (beyond recreational range) - Nitrox (for your primary gas) has a benefit.

This is somewhat off-topic.. and being the Basic Scuba forum, I won't expound too much. But even at 150 or 160 feet (beyond recreational range) - Nitrox (for your primary gas) has a benefit.

If I'm doing my math right, let's say a ppO2 of 1.4 at 160fsw your ideal gas will be EAN 27.

Is is just the fact that you're offsetting the Nitrogen and reducing your deco obligation?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom