Red Sea -- Dry or Wet?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Peter Guy

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
I'm going to be diving of a live-a-board out of Hurghada in a couple of weeks and I'm looking for advice on whether I should dive dry or wet.

I'll probably be doing some "light" technical dives (no deeper than 150 feet/one deco bottle) in addition to pure recreational profile dives. No dive would be longer than about 70 minutes.

If dry, I'll use a White's Fusion with a very light undergarment -- if wet, it would be a 5mm suit with, perhaps, a 2mm hooded vest.

What temps should I expect?

What do you dive in the Red Sea or what did you dive?

Thanks for the info.

I am going to be doing two back-to-back liveaboards in October, first out of Hurghada and then Safaga, and I am just going to wear my 5mm Fourth Element Proteus wetsuit. That time of year, should be more than sufficient.

I have worn my Poseidon Flexisuit in the Red Sea, but that has been in December, January, February or early March. The water isn't that cold at those times, it is the wind chill when you come back from your dive. Drysuit makes it so much comfier.

Mark

I'd go dry. It'll be windy so dry with a tracksuit or similar underneath would be useful.
Im flying home in a month to get my drysuit as im already starting to chill here (albeit im further north). Drysuit is the most flexible choice by far.

Sounds like diving dry may be best -- but also bring the 5mm -- but then there is the weight factor! So many decisions and so little time left.

BTW, it looks like Air Egypt has a one bag limit and the second bag is charged by weight -- for the flight from Cairo to Hurghada -- correct?

Dry. No doubt. I took my 30/30 drysuit with lightweight undergarments and really underestimated the need for warmth on my Red Sea trip back in May. Would have been better off diving my TLS 350 and Midweight garments.

Our group traveled "as a group" and had no problems with baggage weight or extra bags on any of our flights internally.

It is only October and last year at least in Sharm you could do until end of November with a 5mm with 3mm over-shorty or with 8 or 13 oz polypropylene under-suit
The best thing is to check on weather underground the minimum temperatures forecast for the week just the day before your departure. Consider that the water temperature will be within one degree from the minimum temperature and that if the air is still 35 it will be hot donning the dry suit

Back
Top Bottom