Adopt a...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Paladin

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Yesterday, I went to one of my favorite personal dive sites to try out a newly rebuilt DA Aquamaster that I purchased from Vintage Double Hose. Having been out of SCUBA diving for about 16 years, I had not been there in at least that long. The last time I was there, the bottom was clean and pristine with a large population of various species of freshwater fish. Yesterday, I found the bottom covered in bottles, cans and assorted trash with no fish to be seen anywhere.

Is there any sort of volunteer effort, similar to the "Adopt-a-Highway" campaign dedicated to the cleanup and restoration of lake and river bottoms? It really pains me to see a lake bottom in such a condition as I found it.

Sure get with the local authorities, dive clubs, LDS and put together a clean up dive, we do it up here 2-3 times a year, people sign up through the shop and usually have a blast, and it gets competitive on who brings up the weirdest item

If you haven't signed up for the Shoreline Cleanup this weekend:

Ocean Conservancy: Home

There will be local cleanups all over the world and that may be an opportunity for you to get involved on a longer term and obtain more information about the problems concerning your favourite sites.

Back
Top Bottom