Dolphin Scuba in Sacramento says Sherwood won't replace battery

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

judothrow

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
I know you have answered the same question for a diver in the past, however; I explained to my LDS (because I read your last response to this question less than a year ago) that my Sherwood computer The Source could have the battery replaced by sending back for service and that I was willing to pay the fee involved. Dolphin Scuba here in Sacramento, flat out refused and said that they not only as an Authorized Sherwood Dealer refused to send it in for me to have the battery replaced but also refused to show me how to do it. My computer still has a slight charge left on the battery but is obviously going to die completely soon and it's in almost perfect condition and hardly used. Please help me change the battery, I spoke to everyone there at Dolphin all the way up to management, I can't believe there response that Sherwood has fazed this computer out and are unwilling to change a simple battery, I paid good money for this computer, even though it's a dinosaur! thanks, Chris Walker[/B]

Early models of "The Source" MUST be serviced by an authorized service center. Later models were designed to be more user-friendly - they have a battery compartment with a cover that can be removed using a coin.

There are two lithium ion batteries and an o-ring that need attention, when the compartment is opened. The o-ring should be replaced, and the new one should be coated with silicone to provide a good seal.

Do not over tighten the battery cover!

I'll be that ScubaToys could help you out, they used to sell spare battery compartment covers.

Obviously they don't want your business, find a new LDS. hopefully a Sherwood rep will come on soon and help you out with finding a new shop that will service it or help you send it in

even though my unit is like new condition and simply needs a new battery, they contend that because it's such an old unit, it may not be calibrated correctly after a battery is put in and that not only will they not do it or show me how but that Sherwood is unwilling also. I may need to find another LDS, he told me I might as well chuck it and if it were his, he would chuck it!

thanks for the responses so far, I hope the Sherwood Rep does chime in and help me.

I know you have answered the same question for a diver in the past, however; I explained to my LDS (because I read your last response to this question less than a year ago) that my Sherwood computer The Source could have the battery replaced by sending back for service and that I was willing to pay the fee involved. Dolphin Scuba here in Sacramento, flat out refused and said that they not only as an Authorized Sherwood Dealer refused to send it in for me to have the battery replaced but also refused to show me how to do it. My computer still has a slight charge left on the battery but is obviously going to die completely soon and it's in almost perfect condition and hardly used. Please help me change the battery, I spoke to everyone there at Dolphin all the way up to management, I can't believe there response that Sherwood has fazed this computer out and are unwilling to change a simple battery, I paid good money for this computer, even though it's a dinosaur! thanks, Chris Walker[/B]

Do you remember who exactly you talked to? From what I know of Mike (the owner) he will not be pleased to hear that you were treated like that.

thanks for the responses, I am happy to say that my Sherwood Computer "The Source" is on it's way back to the factory for a battery replacement(thanks to the rep with Sherwood) and the good folks over at Scuba World. I would also like to say that in the past I've enjoyed working with Dolphin and the service folks there, the post above was not meant in any way as a slam on any one person or entity idividually, but should be served as a reminder that sometimes your not always right, on occassion the customer is right! I hope to do business at Dolphin again in the future (if they will have me back), as I truly have had wonderful experiences there in the past, just missed on this one.

Do you remember who exactly you talked to? From what I know of Mike (the owner) he will not be pleased to hear that you were treated like that.

I too have done business with Mike at Dolphin and found him professional and very eager to make the customer happy. I spent quite a bit of money at his shop recently and he made it worth while. I am glad I went through his shop and would do so again. Hopefully this experience is truly an anomaly.

It depends who you get at Dolphin. Mike is a great guy to work with and has given me excellent pricing, but I have never needed service. Rick on the other hand has rubbed me wrong a couple of times.

Always nice to see the manufacturer come in and help out situations on internet forums. Props to Sherwood!

Back
Top Bottom