The right (?) tool for the job

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

saying

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Does anyone actually tote their backplate to Turks, or Bonaire, or whereever else the water may be blue and perfect.

I understand all the arguments for such a rig... it just seems to me that a "normal" BC would be more appropriate for such diving. Granted, my experience is still as limited as downtown parking during rush-hour, but it seems to me someone using a BP/W to dive a 10 meter reef is much like a Marine who insists on using his Ka-Bar to julienne zucchini.

Not just overkill, you know?

.. but I do own a back inflate BC. It is much more comfortable than a jacket style BC and allows you much more freedom of motion (as in like having to reach back behind you, or bend over in the water and reach your fin while its on your foot). Wearing the bladder on your back as opposed to around your ribcage makes a huge difference in comfort and maneuverability...especially if it's partially filled with air.

The BP/W setup allows even more freedom of movement due to it's minimal design. I think it's not so much about gear overkill...it's more about comfort. Just because the vis is 100' and the depth is only 30', doesn't mean a diver has to wear an uncomfortable BC.

The only problem I would see is the weight of the plate for baggage. You can get aluminum BPs to cut back on the weight, although, I wouldn't imagine an aluminum BP would cut more than a few pounds off the weight of the suitcase.

I'm sure some BP/W folks will be along shortly to sell you on the virtues of theBP/W setup.
:)

I can pack my BP and Wings in a lot smaller space than I can my back bladder BC .It doesnt take up near as much space.
Joens

saying once bubbled...
Does anyone actually tote their backplate to Turks, or Bonaire, or whereever else the water may be blue and perfect.

I understand all the arguments for such a rig... it just seems to me that a "normal" BC would be more appropriate for such diving.

LOL

I first read "Truk" instead of "Turks" and thought, "isn't that a little deep for a stab jacket?"

Confed

A BP/Wing will pack smaller than a jacket or "tech" BC and is much more comfortable. It will also often weigh less.

The BP/Wing is more versitile and will out perform all other BCs. Just because you are doing a simple 30ft dive does not mean that you should use some lesser piece of gear.

The BP/Wing will do a 30ft dive or a 300ft dive...why change anything when it works so well?

It is not overkill because it is the most logical choice.

I can pack a Halcyon with aluminum BP in a carryon bag and still have room for Regulator, computer, favorite mask, swim shorts, a dive skin and my log book w/passport and C-card. Sea Snips are allowed in carryon baggage. My carry-on bag is lighter than most peoples'. Now if the airlines want to lose the rest of my baggage, I'm still good for the first day's diving using my own gear (fins are not an issue to rent).

saying once bubbled...
...but it seems to me someone using a BP/W to dive a 10 meter reef is much like a Marine who insists on using his Ka-Bar to julienne zucchini.

Not just overkill, you know?
You've fallen into the trap of thinking that a BP is somehow "Technical." It isn't, it's simply a superior system, which is why I use it for ALL diving. My BP and wing will be with me on the plane to Maui tomorrow!

Roak

I just had the opportunity to compair a BP/wing to my BC. I had a 35# Halcyon wing/SS BP and compaired it to my warm water BC, a Zeagle Scout, which has a 35# wing as well. They pack in almost exactly the same space so size is not an issue. The BP with the SS plate weighs about 8 to 9 lbs or almost double what my BC weighs. An alum plate will drop 3 or 4 lbs off that making them almost even in weight. I dove the BP this weekend and found very little difference in the performance between them. I do find my BC more comfortable but some more tweeking on the straps and some breakin of the straps may help resolve that. So if you own a alum BP and a small wing then there is no reason not to use it in warm water. On the other hand, a SS BP and a 45-55 lb wing is more than I need for that type of diving.

Why shouldn't I take my BP/wing on dive trips to clear, blue water? It packs smaller, weighs less and is more comfortable than any other BC I own.

You don't have to do technical diving in order to use a BP/wing!

I own and use a couple of backplates, but they don't go to the tropics with me. There I use a Seaquest Explorer, a little tropical BC that's smaller, lighter weight, has a predominantly back inflate bladder - it's just sweet. Too bad it's discontinued!
There is an exception. If I plan to use any doubles or stages or deco bottles on the trip then I take the Dive-Rite Transpac rather than the Explorer... but so far I haven't decided to take either the steel or the aluminum BP.
Rick

Back
Top Bottom