PCm LED upgraded?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hatul

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I noticed the PC LED lights now list 135 lumens on your website, compared to the 40 lumen of my PCm LED which I bought just a couple of months ago.

Am I right that your LEDs have been upgraded? And if so is it possible to get my PCm light upgraded to the new LED?

Adam

The long answer is that our LED light specifications (including PC series, C-Lite 8 LED and Pro-V8 LED) have recently changed for a combination of reasons. There are changes in both the overall (average) brightness of the lights, as well as in the way we present the brightness of the lights.

The average brightness in our original specifications was based on a very limited run of prototype, pre-production lights. There is a natural, unavoidable variation in brightness amongst populations of LED lights. We initially chose to publish the lowest, most conservative luminosity from our sample lights.

After many months of production (over a year for the PC series), repeated testing indicates that our LED lights have a more accurate average rating of approximately 80-85 lumens. This number would replace the 45-48 lumens rating we had previously published.

At the same time there appears to have been an industry-wide change in posted specifications. Currently there are no regulations governing manufacturer's luminosity ratings for LED lights. It seems that over the last few months many other manufacturer's of underwater lights have changed their reference point for a light's luminosity. Most have now chosen to reference the peak luminosity, or brightness when the light is first turned on, rather than the average luminosity. This number, which we had never previously published or referenced, is the 135 lumens you now see listed.

So hopefully this clears up the confusion over the new numbers. I plan to post this detailed explanation on the website as well, but haven't had a chance to get it up yet. While we don't like to play the numbers game with our products, it's only fair to follow the unofficial industry standard and give consumers a chance to compare lights on an equal playing field.

The short answer is that the light you purchased a couple of months ago is the same light we are currently advertising on our website.

Regards,
Jean / Ikelite
IKELITE Underwater Systems
graph3.jpg

The long answer is that our LED light specifications (including PC series, C-Lite 8 LED and Pro-V8 LED) have recently changed for a combination of reasons. There are changes in both the overall (average) brightness of the lights, as well as in the way we present the brightness of the lights.

Regards,
Jean / Ikelite
IKELITE Underwater Systems
graph3.jpg

Thanks for the explanation. If it's not proprietary information, can I ask you what is the LED that's used in your lights, and is there a driver circuit in the lights?

Adam

Hope some other manufacturers read this post. It's a great example of customer care, giving the most information possible to give the right answer.

Thanks guys!

Back
Top Bottom