Y'all fail Big Time!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Nemrod

ScubaBoard Sponsor
ScubaBoard Sponsor
Reaction score
How to Live With Just 100 Things - TIME

Me too.

Several years ago I began to attempt to lead a green life within certain limits, lol. I don't think I can get down to 100 Things but I have probably given away, sold or recycled several thousand things I did not need. Scuba diving horribly impacts my 100 Things goal, perhaps, 1,000 Things can be accomplished. Let's see, there are the bicycles, the boats, the scuba, XX, YY, ZZ, cloths, shoes, pots and pans, I give up.

But, I am making a concerted effort to only purchase non slave labor (non China) items and especially those which can be rebuilt, reused for many cycles even if the initial price is greater, this can apply to scuba, ban plastic and disposable items.

It does no good if we vote for and implement green laws if we then outsource manufacturing to countries that use slave labor and horribly pollute the earth. A holistic approach is needed and it begins with owning fewer things even if somewhat more than 100 Things.

N

One of my friend says "the more you possess the more you are possessed". There is some truth to that statement, but it has taken me 65 years to accumulate my possessions and it always seems as soon as is dispose of one I have a need for it.

Love the theory-don't see how I could ever make it happen.

I would love to be able to live with 100 things or less but it's not a reality at this stage.

Instead, I buy secondhand whenever possible, recycle and reuse as much as possible, compost produce matter, and give away or sell as much as possible rather than simply trash things. When I do buy new, I try to evaluate the item's longevity and repairability and buy accordingly.

Anyone interested in reevaluating their life and the relationship between work, money and material possessions might be interested in reading up on voluntary simplicity. I'm currently reading a book about people who've adopted the *simple* life and am finding it most inspiring!

Kudos to you, Nemrod, for your awareness! :)

Good post. I try to keep my "stuff" to a minimum as well. It's not readily apparent to the naked eye however!

Does a case of 9 m.m. ammo count as one item or 2,000 ?

I guess the concept is noble enough. I would never personally go for it.

Thanks Nemrod, for the article and starting this interesting discussion.

As you said, there is going to be limits and difficulties to being "green". But if we look at these green ideas as guidelines more than as rules cast in stone, we can all do our important bits. It's obvious that business as usual - or old ways as usual - is no longer viable.

It's the three Rs principle: Reduce, Reuse and Recycle. While I really don't like the idea of extreme deprivations, I know a "greener" lifestyle will benefit me in my health, in my sense of "doing good" and in my wallet.

Back
Top Bottom