Any Diving on The Gulf Side in The Keys

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ScubaBill1955

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Just wondering if there is any diving (maybe for lobsters) on the gulf side in the upper keys?

Also how far offshore are the closest reefs on the Atlantic side?

Hmmm, interesting question. That would be a great kayak dive if not too far offshore!

Hey Bill, remember, if you're diving down this way I'm off on Fridays if you're looking for a buddy. I can be in Key Largo in 80 minutes, dive all day, and be home for dinner!

Debby, I just love your new avatar.

Just wondering if there is any diving (maybe for lobsters) on the gulf side in the upper keys?

Also how far offshore are the closest reefs on the Atlantic side?

Yes; on the Gulf side there are numerous "grouper holes" that you can find lobster - you also can find lobster under/around "stuff", often man made out there too - you don't need to be far offshore either.

Be prepared for a lot of running and gunning; ie doing a lot of looking for holes, stuff underwater, etc - its not where you would go just to dive; in this instance its a little like diving off Venice - if not for the sharks teeth you likely would not do it.

As to your other question, on the Atlantic side the sites are 6 - 7 miles offshore - with the exception of seeing sea grass and sand, there is no shore diving in the Keys - although some have commented on diving the mangrove areas; there are small fish, etc, but for the reefs, you need a boat.

What about "muck diving" for small critters

What about "muck diving" for small critters

The best place to "muck dive" in FL is up your way at the Blue Heron Bridge - its really fantastic and better than anything I have experienced at sites in KL or Islamorada -

Go approx 1 hour before high tide and you can get a loooooong dive w/ the chance to see stuff like octopus, seahorses, frogfish, as well as a whole lot of other small stuff.

Thanks for all your replies.

I have an 11' zodiac hardbottom inflatable with a 25hp that I use for diving the boneyard in Venice. I say it's about a mile offshore.

I was thinking of taking it to the keys sometime. That's why I was interested in the gulf side. 6 to 7 miles is probably farther than I would want to take it.

Yeah man scubabill, your in there. On a calm morning get out there and look for lighter green spots in the water which indicate sand patches in the grass.(On the gulf side) Look over the side if it is clear and see if you can see any rock, tropical fish/colors good indicators. Look for brain coral heads. Avg depth out there off Marathon is 6-15 max and we usually snorkel it unless the hole is loaded. Take a hand held GPS and mark your spots. :wink:

On a second note I'm dying to get over your way and find some teef's. =P

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom