when is ditchable weight necessary?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

merkin

Contributor
Reaction score
I was reading neve's recent post with much interest and had a followup question (didn't want to hijack a thread).

I use a SS BP/wings with 2# weights threaded into each of the tank cam straps (see photo - no the BP isn't reversed, just weird flash).

Anyway, I've found that I have good trim and neutral buoyancy without any additional weight (ocean with a skin or spring with a 5mm steamer). It seems that by having the weight centered in my body, I require about 3-4# less than previous dives with the BP/wings.

Do I really need to move some of this weight back down to a belt or can I go without a belt? My concern is that I could tear the bladder deep and become extremely negative. What is a "balanced rig" and how do you determine if you have one?

Thanks for the input!

My personal rule is that I must have a redundant way to get positively buoyant. In addition to the BC, this might be a dry suit, a lift bag or ditchable weights, depending on the tank(s) I'm diving. It doesn't really matter which of the three I use, so long as a BC failure won't leave me with no choice but to swim to the surface against negative buoyancy.
Rick

It is important whenever you expect me to rescue you. Lately I have been towing various people (DM training) and the thing that makes the most difference to the effort involved is not the size of the victim, but how buoyant I can make them.

Of course, no-one ever plans to be a victim...

Z

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom