Questions about Lake Erie

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Juls64

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
Hi

I am still a relatively new diver and just did my first Lake Michigan dives this past weekend. I loved it. I am beginning to read and try to learn more about Great Lakes Diving. In a search for facts on the Great Lakes on the web, I read where Lake Erie is the warmest of the Lakes. What exactly does that mean? I am used to the small lake and quarry which I train in here in Illinois having a bottom temp around 40 degrees in the spring/early summer . My Lake Michigan dives were around 50 degrees (though I had been told to expect 40).

Could someone give me a brief synopsis of expected temps in Lake Erie in the summer months. It seems like there are some good, shallower wrecks there that look interesting. Just collecting info for future diving.

Thanks,
Julie

(Sorry, I should have put this in the North America section perhaps)

Moved to North American forum as requested... DivingGal

Julie

This is not what exactly what you are asking for, but if your interested in diving the great lakes, look for books by Cris Kohl.
He has written a couple of them that cover great lakes ship wrecks. These are usually broken down by indiviual lake and it takes you through wreck by wreck.
It will give depth, type, sometimes hazards and usually loran and/or GPS coords. It will also tell you his recomdation on skill level required to dive a given wreck ie. begginner to advanced and in some instances tech.
He does have one that covers Lake Erie. If you belong to a club ask around, maybe someone already has a copy you can sneak a peek at.

Keep divin'

Jim

his books in the LDS. I'll pick up one or two. Thanks SwimJim.

Juls

I think that Lake Erie is termed "the warmest" lake because it is shallower and heats up easier than the other great lakes. Doesn't necessarily mean it's warm though

This is a broad generalization base on 2 yrs diving experience out of Buffalo NY. In spring and early summer the shallow water temps are in the 50s, in the 40s or lower past the thermocline (usually about 15-20ft or so). Definately 7mil/full hood temps. By mid/end summer the surface temps will be in the high 60s/low 70s and I'll typically dive with a 3 mil suit and a dive beanie. The thermocline gets deeper and the deeper temps drop to the low 60s - pretty comfortable compared really.

That there are glacial grooves underwater near Kelley's Island that people dive on. Don't know where or how you access them though.
Ber :bunny:

There are some wrecks around Kelleys, mostly broken down woodpiles. As far a the glacial grooves, I have never heard of any that are underwater. There are however preserved grooves on the island itself. the wrecks are easily accesible by small boat from the island.

I personally don't waste my time diving the western end of Lake Erie anymore despite living 30 minutes from the lake shore, and minutes from Sandusky Bay. With an average depth of less than 40 feet, all wrecks on this end are subject to constant environmental battering and low viz.

Also, with the sediment bottom, viz is touch and go (most touch!), so unless you like braille diving, limit your Erie diving to the deeper water found toward the east.

The best diving for Erie can be found over towards Barcelona/Dunkirk, NY and can be done using Osprey Dive Charters. Definitely good stuff over that way.

Temperature wise, it gets quite warm in the summer, but make the mistake of dropping below the thermocline in a 3mm and beanie, and you'll be in for a rude awakening.

Back
Top Bottom