SCUBA Diving, Urban Legends and Mythbusters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Cave Diver

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
Every so often a thread pops up about a topic that someone has "heard" from a buddy, or some flash of enlightenment that has occurred to them from an experience they've had.

A while back Mythbusters did some shows on stuff that could be considered diving related (exploding tank, shark week, etc.)

I thought it might be fun if we put together a list of some of those things we've all heard, but no one has ever really tried. Then maybe we can get Mythbusters to do a ScubaBoard special. :rofl3:

I'll start with a few:

In the event of a first stage failure you can take the reg off a tank and sip air directly from the valve.

A ruptured low pressure hose will drain a tank before you can shut the valve off.

You can use a wing as rebreather in an emergency.

A BP/W will float you face down and you'll die. :D

Ok, so I'm kidding about that last one (maybe) but you get the idea.

Any other contributions?

Is this like, "don't exceed 1.4 PPO2 or you'll die?"

Every so often a thread pops up about a topic that someone has "heard" from a buddy, or some flash of enlightenment that has occurred to them from an experience they've had.

A while back Mythbusters did some shows on stuff that could be considered diving related (exploding tank, shark week, etc.)

I thought it might be fun if we put together a list of some of those things we've all heard, but no one has ever really tried. Then maybe we can get Mythbusters to do a ScubaBoard special. :rofl3:

I'll start with a few:

In the event of a first stage failure you can take the reg off a tank and sip air directly from the valve.

A ruptured low pressure hose will drain a tank before you can shut the valve off.

You can use a wing as rebreather in an emergency.

A BP/W will float you face down and you'll die. :D

Ok, so I'm kidding about that last one (maybe) but you get the idea.

Any other contributions?

You forgot Spare Air. :thumb:

hmm.... this has got me going I would love to see a tank explode

Is this like, "don't exceed 1.4 PPO2 or you'll die?"

I was thinking more along the lines of "diving with a metal detector will attract sharks" but sure, we can throw 1.4 in too. :)

:popcorn: :popcorn:

Why hasn't Letterboy asked to see an exploding tank yet?

Any clips from Home Depot or Lowes will kill you. Clips from KMart will kill you AND your buddy.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom