Buying first BC

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
Good morning. I'm a newly certed diver and am about to buy my first gear. I have narrowed myself down to 2 packages. The first set is Dacor and contains an Eagle Reg, Viper Octopus, a Genesis Compact 2 guage console, and either a Sportster or RAV BC. The second is Mares and contains an MR12 Axis Octopus and Reg, A Mission 2D Guage, and a Vector Original BC.

I was hoping someone could help guide on my purchse. Any input would be appreciated. Thanks.

Frankly speaking, I think Mares regulator suck. But then again, I dove in cold water (north east) and often do deep dives, so I am definatelly an Apeks follower.

Dacor and Mares is the same company.. have you thought about Zeagle? if it's available in your area. Check out Zeagle Scout and Concept, or even the Ranger if you are in the cold water diving.

For regs I would go with ScubaPro. Apex is ok too.

For the BC, check out Halcyon. A Backplate/Wing combo is the way to go.

www.halcyon.net

Select the individual components you think are best, regardless of mfg...

Here's my advice on the two pacakages you listed. The gauges and BCs are pretty much a wash, since they're basically just about the same things. I really like the Dacor Viper as an octo since it can be used right side up and upside down, as the exhaust is on the side. I don't like the second as a primary, but it's a good octo. From the 2 that you have narrowed your search down to, I would choose the eagle and viper combo.

Go with what you know. You've probably worn a jacket BC in class, get something like it for now. If you want to move on to a different style of diving, there's plenty of time and I would get experience under your belt before you start moving into the kind of diving that you'll experience any significant benefit from more expensive equipment. To spend $100-$200 more on a BP right now doesn't make sense if you don't have that money to spend, same with a reg. Better to get some dives done in your own gear and get some experience.

Personally, I like Mares, but I think opinions stated in response to newbie questions on Scubaboard with no rationale to back said opinions 'suck'.:rolleyes:

Used gear is another option. Quality scuba gear is hard to wear out and at times there is some good gear to be had from divers wanting to upgrade or from those who just decided that they do not like diving. If you can find some good used gear, make a deal with the owner to have it checked by a tech at your cost. If it's ok and you can get it a fair price, buy it, HAVE IT SERVICED and dive it for a while. That way you can get some experience, maybe have an oppertunity to try some different gear and then you can make good educated choice on what you really want/need. Some dive shops have rental gear that they sell from time to time. It's not always pretty but it works. The advantaqge here is that the original owner took a big loss on the new equipment, where you can dive it for several years and still sell it for close to what you payed for it...or keep it as backup. Personaly, I would avoid E-bay, it's harder to work deals with the owner and you can't look at what you are buying.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom