Differences of Warm & Cold Water Diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DCBC

Banned
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
In your opinion, what are the largest differences that you've experienced between diving in warm water and cold?

How does this affect the type of diving you do?

How does this affect the diving equipment you use?

Do you make any alteration to your decompression plan?

Cold water: Wear more neoprene which would include a hood, gloves and booties and less lead. Also, make sure your regulators are approved for cold water. They can ice up if not.

As this is the "basic scuba" forum I think you need to eliminate the last question.

Also, perhaps you should define what temp's you feel are warm/cold.

As this is the "basic scuba" forum I think you need to eliminate the last question.

Also, perhaps you should define what temp's you feel are warm/cold.

I guess my understanding is that "basic scuba" is diving that's not "advanced," as both categories have to address decompression, I'll let the question stand as is. My feelings as to what warm and cold doesn't matter; perhaps this will be something that will be discussed, or will be defined by others.

Last edited:
Since about 80% of my diving is colder water, it has affected equipment choices, i.e. regulator-environmentally sealed to minimize a possible free flow issue, a drysuit,undergarments, hood, and gloves. I always add 10' to my depth when planning a cold water dive also, shortens no deco time, but adds a cushion. Warm water... 3mil, no hood, reef gloves, though same reg, it works great in warm water too

There is quite a significant difference between a shorty and a dry suit. The same goes for 7mm gloves, two independent regs, lamp and stuff. :confused6:

The type of diving also changes a lot in my case, because in my opinion in warm water there are many things to see in the 5-20m region. In cold water (at least here) I tend to either stay at 5-8m, or I go really deep, depending on the location. I add a few more minutes to the last deco stop, and stay in the water for some more minutes before walking all the way back to the car.

In your opinion, what are the largest differences that you've experienced between diving in warm water and cold?

How does this affect the type of diving you do?

How does this affect the diving equipment you use?

Do you make any alteration to your decompression plan?

Not necessarily ... from the perspective of dive planning, even when planning NDL dives you may want to be more conservative on cold water dives because cold affects your blood circulation, particularly in the extremities.

To answer the questions ...

1. The largest differences are that in cold water I wear more exposure equipment, generally use larger cylinders, and count on lower visibility (40-foot vis where I dive is rare ... 10-25 is more the norm).

2. It doesn't, really ... except on very cold days when I might limit myself to only two dives and then really need to go someplace and warm up.

3. Cold water ... drysuit, dry gloves, hood, lots of weight, heavy backplate, generally larger cylinders. Warm water ... wetsuit, not much weight, lighter backplate, whatever cylinders are available.

4. Not necessarily ... if I'm pushing that close to deco considerations I'm going to plan my dives a bit more conservatively in either case.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

1. How does this affect the type of diving you do?

2. How does this affect the diving equipment you use?

3. Do you make any alteration to your decompression plan?

Question 2 has been answered by many posts.

As for Question 3:
"Cold can translate to higher-than-usual air consumption and affect your motor coordination and mental capacity. It can also cause an increased propensity toward decompression illness and oxygen toxicity.... Thermal protection by a wetsuit, drysuit or other survival-type suit will dramatically lessen the immediate effects, but no matter where you dive, heat loss will still occur over time, and eventually you can get chilled. This can lead to hypothermia, a dangerous condition for any diver." See "Cold-Water Protection: California Diving During the Early 1950s" at alert diver online for more information.

Also, check out these two articles:
Divers Alert Network : Alert Diver Articles
Divers Alert Network : Alert Diver Articles

The author of article 292 (Neal Pollock) has also published an article "Cold stress complicates decompression stress" in dirQuest, vol. 4(1), pp. 14-16, 2003 but I can't seem to access it.

Cold water means more work gearing up & down. I've heard that the water temp. must be 92F for you not to ever chill. Anyone else hear that?

Cold water: Wear more neoprene which would include a hood, gloves and booties and less lead. Also, make sure your regulators are approved for cold water. They can ice up if not.

You will need MORE weight for cold water and more neoprene, not less.

Many people coming from warm water experience are not mentally prepared for cold water diving. Not seeing the surface from the bottom can be unnerving to some. Also the hoods and gloves feel more restrictive and its harder to work your gear. Narcosis is also different in cold water. When your in warm clear water it makes people happy drunks. But in cold dark water it can make people scared or freak out.

Gear selection is key, dress for conditions. But keep in mind of thermoclines. In warm water there may be a 5-10 degree difference from top to bottom. Up here in the great lakes bottom temps rarely get out of the 40's while the surface temp is in the mid 70's. I'll second larger cylinders, cold water tends to increase air consumption. Environmentally sealed regs are a must if your going cold.

As for decompression and off gassing, your bodies first line of defence against cold is to restrict blood flow to extremadies. This can have a negative effect on off gassing. More conservative profiles are called for. I also make sure to keep moving my fingers, toes, and hands while hanging stops. I like to think it helps keep the blood flowing.

Back
Top Bottom