oh which bc to buy??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

wstein

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
OK, I am looking for some input on a new bc to buy. I currently have a oceanic something the other (can't remember the model, had it for a while). I need to replace it because it is getting too big. Yeah that is right, it is getting too big!!!! Yippeee!!!

I have looked at some scuba pro's, the odd sherwood, and even a cressi. My LDS carries Oceanic, Sherwood, and Cressi. I am thinking of going the back inflation route and have already tried the Sherwood Freedom, thought well of it. Any "Informed" recommendations of bc's to consider. I am thinking of getting a new bc by the end of the fall time frame.

Thanks for your inpute

Wstein - aka Why Bother : TBH3/Jolly Rogers

What kind of diving do you do? Any tech aspirations? If you're only going to be diving singles, and like to travel, the SeaQuest Balance is a great BC. My buddy has one, and he could pack two in the amount of space my Ranger takes up.

I am mainly a rec diver. I might try my hand at some tech diving later in the future, possible wreck diving. Right not I am not traveling much, work is keeping me nailed down.

I'll look in the seaquest, see if I can rent one from a dive shop here and take it for a test spin.

Thanks for yours and Zombie's input.

Wstein

I just got a back-inflate Chute 2 (left over from last year at my LDS) and my buddy got the Chute 3. To me it seemed to be very rugged, good for rec diving the cold water up here. Nice roomy weight pockets, excellent steel D-rings, almost too many to count!

I have and use a Genesis Recon that I really like. It has an appropriate number of d rings in the right places and is VERY balanced at depth. If you get it though, add a crotch strap, that makes it even better!

I dive the Scubapro knighthawk, my wife dives the Seaquest Diva. THe knighthawk is very stable and I like it alot, however, now that I have had it for some time, I feel it needs a couple more D rings, and could use weight pockets on the tank strap like Krista's Diva has...........

tiny bubbles

I second the suggestion for a Genesis Recon. Nice weight integrated BC that is well layed out, streamlined and very well made. The dual cam bands are quite secure and still allow room for a pony bottle.

I'd also comment that adding the plate kit further improves the already great stability and allows doubles to be used. The down side is that adding the stainless steel backplate makes it rather expensive.

I will opt for the Halcyon. Kind of regret buying the Ranger. Don't get me wrong, Ranger is a great BC, but just that it is a bit too big for me.

Back
Top Bottom