The Red Sea for beginners?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Pitchblack70

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hi all - am finishing up my AOW in two weeks, and have been looking at where to go next. (My husband will probably get OW certified next, so that we can plan trips together.)

Egypt has been on my list to visit for quite some time now (my mother actually used to live in the Middle East, in Khartoum.)

I just found out that the Red Sea has excellent diving...which looks to me like a great opportunity to put two things I want to do into one trip. However, a few lines in my Lonely Planet guide mention strong currents? So the question is - how is the Red Sea for beginners? Honestly, I only have 6 dives under my belt now.. So should I wait a year or so? At this point, I don't want to bite off more than I can chew...

Thx!

The Red Sea is ideal for beginners - plenty of dive sites with calm conditions, excellent vis and wonderful wildlife. Yes, there can be some strong currents in some locations, but they are manageable with just some basic information. We've probably seen more Whale sharks at the "beginner" sites than we have at the tricker sites in Ras Mohamed and Tiran.

I work in Sharm but I don't advertise on here but if you want more info (and no selling!) feel free to contact me for info.

Cheers

C.

Thanks...! When's the best time to go? (Is Dec okay, or other times of the year better...?)

If you go out on a Charter boat in the Red Sea, you will have to have 50 logged dives. The boat I was on didn't check but if the National Park officials board, they do check.

I was disappointed with the Red Sea, not many fish and the corals were all beigh. That's due to the high salinity of the water, it's 4% and normal seawater is about 2%. That also affects the weight you need to carry, it was about 4 lbs more for me.

If you are going I would recommend pairing it with a land tour. Egypt as a Country with all it's antiquities was almost better than diving.

diverls,
could there be dive sites in the red sea that have more life and colour than the carribean?
european divers i have befriended have always poo pooed the carribean and try very hard to convince me to go diving in the red sea.

sorry for the hijack.

should the OP go to cozumel and practice drift diving before going to the red sea?
regards,

Caribbean has far less diveristy of coral or species of fish (officially). High salinity has no effect nor does anything else like that. If you go to the dayboat sites that are bashed by poor day trip divers maybe but go elsewhere and its definintely not the case.

You don't need 50 logged dives to go on a charter boat - only certain areas which are fairly remote such as the brothers put such a restriction in. Close to shore, Ras Mohammad and everywhere else they'll accept anyone.

If you go out on a Charter boat in the Red Sea, you will have to have 50 logged dives. The boat I was on didn't check but if the National Park officials board, they do check.

I was disappointed with the Red Sea, not many fish and the corals were all beigh. That's due to the high salinity of the water, it's 4% and normal seawater is about 2%. That also affects the weight you need to carry, it was about 4 lbs more for me.

If you are going I would recommend pairing it with a land tour. Egypt as a Country with all it's antiquities was almost better than diving.
Sorry but that's not accurate.

You need 50+ logged dives only to dive the marine parks (Brothers - Daedalus - Rocky - Zabargad) or some adventurous itineraries like the Gulf of Suez wrecks. This does not apply to Ras Mohamed National Park.

The high salinity has nothing to do with the quality and quantity of colors and fish. Take a glance at some of what the Red Sea has to offer by visiting Red Sea marine life index from Red Sea Shadow

Say what ??? That`s ridiculous!! Egypt in May has 40C-45C degrees @ Luxor, Valley of the Kings/Queens, Karnak temple, 45-50C in summer. How can you love antiquities when you throw 1L of water on you and its gone after 60 seconds like it never was there??? I`ve been to Red Sea and im going back in 2weeks. Do you even know what wrecks are on Redsea, what amazing dive sites are there? Egypt is probably in top 10 diving areas in the world.

This is what we (me and my friends) saw on May --> YouTube - Diving in Hurghada

Take a look at main attraction in Red sea --> Egypt Red Sea Shipwrecks - The Thistlegorm

Watch this!!! YouTube - Thistlegorm !!!

also more here: Egypt: Red Sea - Dive Sites

Tip: YouTube - Broadcast Yourself. and search the Reef names.

ps: give it another chance with different dive center.

---------------------------------------------
Pitchblack70:

So, Red Sea is amazing for begginers. My 1st dive in Red Sea (7th overall, after OWD, 6 dives) was at 15m and 10th @ 22m. After 1st Egypt trip i went back home and did AOWD to go further in Red Sea at different dive sites...and thats how you should do it...dive according to your experience.

Yes, Red Sea is the place where i left my soul at!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom