Long distance dive relationships

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jbichsel

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
I have what I think is a unique situation.

I was OW certified in 1989 in Texas, became a PADI Dive Master in 1990, and continued aggressive diving schedule with my certifying instructor/shop for many years. He and I became good friends.

In 2000, we moved from Texas to Colorado. Being from Montana originally, I had had enough of the heat, flat, scorpions, etc.

I got out of diving for a couple of years, sold all my gear (idiot!). Over the last year I have been getting back into diving and want to become an instructor and get multiple specialties.

Here's the thing. My oroginal instructor has offered to get me current on all my existing certifications, and move me "up the ladder" at about 95% less cost than I can get it anywhere else. Also, he will get me outfitted at near dealer cost, LOW single digit markup.

My wife's family live in his area so travelling to TX and having places to stay is no big deal. 12 hour drive, weekend in the water, visit family.

Anyone have any situation like this?

Whats the problem, sounds like you fell in head first and came up smelling like a rose. Go for it.

Man, it looks like you're gifted. What's the problem here ?

jbichsel once bubbled...
I have what I think is a unique situation.
My wife's family live in his area so travelling to TX and having places to stay is no big deal. 12 hour drive, weekend in the water, visit family.

Anyone have any situation like this?

Well - I don't have an exact situation like yours. In May my Dad, brother, and I all completed our OW on a family trip. The problem, I'm in Chicago, my Dad is in Cincinnati, and depending on the week my brother is in Detroit or Columbus.

I'm new to Chicago and havn't established a firm Dive Buddy (tho Scubaboard has lined up some possibilities). So one of us is looking at a 4-6 hour drive on the weekends we want to dive. (Me to Gilboa, Whitestar, or Portage, or they come up here for Lake Michigan or Haigh Quarry) For a weekend trip driving friday and sunday evening this is manageable with getting a solid 6-8 dives in. With a 12 hour trip each way I'd be concerned how much dive-time your going to actually get. Plus your probably looking at some deco time due to the altitude diff from Texas back to Colorado.

In a nutshell:
For a 2-3 day weekend? No way - you're spending 24 hours driving.
For a 4 day - whole week per stint.. Heck yea...

My "mentor" is a good friend of mine who moved to Ontario before I got seriously into scuba (I live in Alberta). He encouraged me and got me excited about diving again. After his invitation to dive the great lakes I'm anxious to get out there whenever I can (usually once or twice a year). My friend is an excellent dive guide and host and I probably would have missed this diving if not for him being out there (and perhaps diving all together). We've done other trips abraod and have plans for more.
I'm also diving locally which is primarily mountain lakes (I'm sure you've got a few) and expanding my diving buddy list. Once you get going at it you'll start getting to know a whole bunch of local divers.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom