Can you dive Pearl Harbor ???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ScubaBrett22

Lionfish Slayer
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I was wondering can you dive Pearl Harbor?? or any of the sunken ships it just seems way cooler to look at the wreck from below then above??? I know its a historical site and all but it would be cool to swim around it and get a good look at it if anyone knows please comment!!! :D :D :cool2:

I am also not trying to disrespect anyone who served on the ship it self or was in Pearl Harbor when the Japanese attacked i just am 15 and would love to know i just find ships like that fascinating =)

They won't let you dive the Arizona and the rest of the harbor is pretty much an active navy base with all the security that goes with it.

The Arizona is where the monument building is correct and are you allowed to dive the other wreck the USS UTAH ? I was looking at it in google earth.

USS Arizona et.al. is off-limits to anyone except designated official research and monitoring divers. Even if recreational divers were permitted on the wreck, it doesn't sound like it would be an easy dive: I understand that visibility is extremely limited. This is caused by wave action that stirs up the sediment covering the wreck and the harbor's sea-bed, as well as the oil still leaking from the ship. Plus, PH is still an active military base (another reason that diving the Arizona would guarantee you a one-way ticket to Gitmo), and I can't imagine that the ships churning through the water help the viz much, either. Not that limited viz would stop a lot of folk, of course! A woman who was allowed to accompany research divers on the Arizona wrote an account of her experiences and posted pics . You can read it here: Bubbagirl.com - On The USS Arizona--What A Thrill!

AWW Shucks i have a lot of respect for what they did i just wish the would allow divers on there to go around it once every few years and allow the area to be in a no boat zone and u would pay a good price to go i would pay anything to go see the ship the USS Arizona....

well u know what i mean i would do anything to dive there or even to see the ship under
water and sit in the sand and just look at it to see what happend and to kinda feel what happend...... me and my emotions
i am extremley sensitive to peoples fealings i cant hurt some ones fealing with out crying

i would pay anything to go see the ship the USS Arizona....

You could probably dive it, but I bet you'll have some armed guys waiting for you when you surface. If they let you surface...

Keep in mind that these ships are GRAVE SITES. Especially the USS Arizona where survivors who die later can have their ashes dropped into the ship. I don't think any ship designated as a "grave site" is open to recreational divers, which is respectful and right IMO.

If you want to dive some really cool WWII wrecks, go to Truk Lagoon (Chuuk) and dive the ships there. There's also Scapa Flow near Britain for German wrecks, and in Guam you can dive a WWI German ship and a WWII Japanese ship and actually touch them both at the same time. There are also U-boats that are diveable off the east coast of the United States. Unfortunately you can no longer go to Bikini Atoll and dive the atomic fleet.

Keep in mind that these ships are GRAVE SITES. Especially the USS Arizona where survivors who die later can have their ashes dropped into the ship. I don't think any ship designated as a "grave site" is open to recreational divers, which is respectful and right IMO.

If you want to dive some really cool WWII wrecks, go to Truk Lagoon (Chuuk) and dive the ships there. There's also Scapa Flow near Britain for German wrecks, and in Guam you can dive a WWI German ship and a WWII Japanese ship and actually touch them both at the same time. There are also U-boats that are diveable off the east coast of the United States. Unfortunately you can no longer go to Bikini Atoll and dive the atomic fleet.

Are there any wrecks in Germany ?????????????????????? If anyone knows tell me i have a cousin that wants me to go to Germany and i haven't felt the urge but now i kinda do. :D:D:D:D:D:rofl3:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom