Rainbow Reef and general Keys Dive questions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BrianOrange

Contributor
Reaction score
Hey everyone -

I just got Open Water certified in August. Due to my job I won't be able to dive again until early February in the Keys. Since I am now obsessed with scuba diving, I've already started to plan my trip. I have a bunch of questions. Would appreciate any insights, tips, or advice.

1.) I'm thinking about diving with Rainbow Reef. Since I will be buddyless and on my first dives since certified, I like the fact that they have a dive guide on each trip for you. Does anyone have any insights on Rainbow Reef and how they are with newbies? I don't care about cattle boats or anything like that (yet). I am just looking for a comfortable dive enviroment where someone might help me with my gear and not look at me weird if I ask a dumb question.

2.) I plan on signing up for about 6-8 dives in advance. What happens if the first dive on a particular day is to a location out of my dive profile? Does the shop reimburse for that trip if I don't feel comfortable doing the dive?

3.) I have a 3 mm longsleeved shorty. I assume this won't be enough to keep me warm in February? What type of wetsuit do you recommend? I was thinking about picking up a cheap 5 mm before I get down there.

Thanks in advance.

Brian

I normally dive with Conch Republic Divers, and I have been so satisfied with Capt Gary and Adm Brenda that I go back there every time I go to the keys.

As for Rainbow Reef... Pam Bradley is a PADI Course Director there, and she's outstanding. Also... one of the Captains... Zach... is great! He used to work in West Palm, and I have a lot of respect for him as a Captain. So, I'm sure they have quality staff there.

As for getting a refund if you feel uncomfortable? I doubt it. Most places want at least a 24 hour notice for cancellations.

Brian, I am from Baltimore so we are pretty close. I have been diving annually in the keys for the last 4 years.
1. I dove in DEC. and did not have any promlems using a 3mm full suit. Instead of diving a 5 mm it will be cheaper to get a 3mm and a hood then a 5mm.

2. I have dove with Rainbow Reef for 3 years in a row. Rainbow is a very nice operation. The DM's and instuctors are very nice. Diego, Allan, Megan, Jesus, and Jeff are all top notch. Rainbow now has 3 boats running out of Key Largo harbor. YOu will be going on one of the two bigger boats. THe price for the 2 tank dive is very good espically with the guide. All of the reef dives you go to will be with in your range. Usually one of the large boats will go to a wreck and one to a reef. Simply make sure you are signed up for the reefs. They are shallow, mostly less then 30 feet. They are very fun with a ton of fish. You will see turtles, eels, nurse sharks and goliath grouper. The colors are great. Diving in Feb. can be iffy. Wind is the biiiiig factor. In Dec. '06 we went out in 5-7 foot waves. It was rough and vis was poor. However, if you get good weather awesome time. YOu will not have cattle boats that time of year.

Next, If you fly into Ft. Lauderdale instead of Miami it is much cheaper and only about a 30 minute longer drive, well worth it. AIr schedule is much better as well.

You can book a hotel room thru Rainbow. The Ramada is a nice place. Stay there rather then the HOliday Inn. Same place but cheaper. Plus these hotels are owned by the same company. You can use all of their stuff for free.

DJ is the owner of Rainbow Reef. IF you have any questions about the operation you can just call down there and ask to speak with him. Very laid back well run operation.

If you have any other questions before you leave just PM me.

Brian, I am from Baltimore so we are pretty close. I have been diving annually in the keys for the last 4 years.
1. I dove in DEC. and did not have any promlems using a 3mm full suit. Instead of diving a 5 mm it will be cheaper to get a 3mm and a hood then a 5mm.

2. I have dove with Rainbow Reef for 3 years in a row. Rainbow is a very nice operation. The DM's and instuctors are very nice. Diego, Allan, Megan, Jesus, and Jeff are all top notch. Rainbow now has 3 boats running out of Key Largo harbor. YOu will be going on one of the two bigger boats. THe price for the 2 tank dive is very good espically with the guide. All of the reef dives you go to will be with in your range. Usually one of the large boats will go to a wreck and one to a reef. Simply make sure you are signed up for the reefs. They are shallow, mostly less then 30 feet. They are very fun with a ton of fish. You will see turtles, eels, nurse sharks and goliath grouper. The colors are great. Diving in Feb. can be iffy. Wind is the biiiiig factor. In Dec. '06 we went out in 5-7 foot waves. It was rough and vis was poor. However, if you get good weather awesome time. YOu will not have cattle boats that time of year.

Next, If you fly into Ft. Lauderdale instead of Miami it is much cheaper and only about a 30 minute longer drive, well worth it. AIr schedule is much better as well.

You can book a hotel room thru Rainbow. The Ramada is a nice place. Stay there rather then the HOliday Inn. Same place but cheaper. Plus these hotels are owned by the same company. You can use all of their stuff for free.

DJ is the owner of Rainbow Reef. IF you have any questions about the operation you can just call down there and ask to speak with him. Very laid back well run operation.

If you have any other questions before you leave just PM me.

Thanks for all the info. Good stuff. I will actually already be down there for the Super Bowl so flights are not issue, as well as lodging since my entire family lives in the area. So I have that going for me.

I'm researching wetsuits constantly now. I'd like to get something I could ideally use in Florida in the winter, up north in the summer, and on a liveaboard. I feel a 5 mm could do all that. I'm also thinking about just getting a 3 mm farmer john and then putting my 3mm long sleeve shorty over top that. Farmer Johns seem to be not that much cheaper than buying a full suit though.

Hey everyone -

I just got Open Water certified in August. Due to my job I won't be able to dive again until early February in the Keys. Since I am now obsessed with scuba diving, I've already started to plan my trip. I have a bunch of questions. Would appreciate any insights, tips, or advice.

1.) I'm thinking about diving with Rainbow Reef. Since I will be buddyless and on my first dives since certified, I like the fact that they have a dive guide on each trip for you. Does anyone have any insights on Rainbow Reef and how they are with newbies? I don't care about cattle boats or anything like that (yet). I am just looking for a comfortable dive enviroment where someone might help me with my gear and not look at me weird if I ask a dumb question.

2.) I plan on signing up for about 6-8 dives in advance. What happens if the first dive on a particular day is to a location out of my dive profile? Does the shop reimburse for that trip if I don't feel comfortable doing the dive?

3.) I have a 3 mm longsleeved shorty. I assume this won't be enough to keep me warm in February? What type of wetsuit do you recommend? I was thinking about picking up a cheap 5 mm before I get down there.

Thanks in advance.

Brian
Congrats on your OW cert!

We dove with RR a few years ago and we dove with Conch Republic this past April.

We dove with RR for a week and felt that they really catered to newer divers. There were a lot of students on the boat everyday as well as new divers so I think you would do well with them and they do send a guide on every dive.

We dove with Conch Republic for four days and didn't see a student or new diver our whole trip but we did see lots of rebreather and Nitrox divers......we dove Nitrox.

Either dive op would be a good choice and I don't think you'll get a strange look for asking a newbie question either way......most divers and certainly most ops are happy to share their knowledge. Also, other than some challenging surface conditions certain times of the year the diving is easy.

If you go with RR I would stay at the Ramada over the Holiday Inn...........we stayed at the Holiday Inn.......

Happy diving to you!

My wife and I can't say enough good things about Rainbow Reef. We dove with them for a week in 11/08 (our first trip as OW certified) and another week 5/09. We will be diving with them when we go back. They are a very good group of people. It is nice having the guide to point out all of the hiding places for the wildlife.
I would also recommend the Ramada. It is a nice enough place that is very convenient.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom