O-Ring responsiblity

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

LollyO

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I carry extra O-Rings because I know it is my responsibility to check the O-Ring when I rent a tank.

But I got to wondering. If an O-Ring is bad, should it not be the dive shop's responsibility to give you a good one? I am not saying for them to inspect them, but I would think that if you got a tank with a bad one before you left their shop that it would be nice if they replaced it with a good one. I may be speaking heresy, but Im a newbie and just sharing my wonder.

Also, can you buy O-Rings in bulk....like Golf Tees. Can you buy them at the Hardware store? Or do I need to go to a dive shop? Initially I was given some, but now I want to buy some extras.

It is the responsibility of the shop to provide a replacement for their tanks. I always had the renter check them by hooking up a pressure checker (this also proved there that the tank was full), or the reg if they were renting both. I also checked them. 2 eyes are better than one.

But a prudent diver would have a few of their own with them. They can get damaged, or blow out after they leave the shop.

yes, thats a great point about the tanks, we have rented tanks where one would have 2500 and the other 3000.

You can get the o-rings at a shop. They are cheap. Others on here will probably have suggestions on where else to get them.

as long as it is the right type of oring material and correct size get them where ever you can.

check the oring at the shop before you leave. this way they will change it for you. i check the orings on customers tanks when they bring them in, and change them for free. whats a 10 cent oring compared to a loyal customer.

The dive shop I DM for keeps spares on every tank, threaded through the valve cap. We try to keep them in good shape but stuff happens, at least we provide a ready spare.

re: threaded through the cap - Does that work? How often do you find you have to change out these spares?

I also keep a spare on each tank through the cap. Always nice to be able to help out my dive buddies when needed.

You can get O-rings from several places in bulk

McMaster Carr
The Oring store
and a host of other places

For a few bucks you can buy a hundred of the O-ring you need

Do a search for orings and such here on SB you'll find a ton of info on sizes and durometer for scuba o-rings.

Back
Top Bottom