newbie question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ppilot

Reaction score
Hi, I'm new to these forums, and was hoping someone could give me some insight. I've been away from diving for about twelve years and want to get back into it. I have a weight belt with two pouches on it, that I believe are meant to be filled with shot. Is this kind of setup still used/common? If so, what kind of shot, and where would one get some?

Thanks alot!

Welcome to the board and back to diving.

If you have what I think you have, a belt with 2 zippered or velcroed pockets, then you can use either regular solid weights or lead shot weights. The lead shot weights are bags of mesh that contain lead pellets. You can make your own weights by making or buying the bags (there is a board member that sells the bags, don't remember their name but with a word search on shot bags I know you can find them)and filling them with # 6 or larger shotgun shot(shot sizes are backwards, 2 is bigger than 4, 4 is bigger than 6, ect). You can find it in many gun stores or buy on line. It comes in 25# bags so shipping can be expensive. If you don't need much, buying them from a LSD is easier. Seems like the average cost was around $2 per lb. I use both but in that type of belt, the soft (shot) weights are more comfortable to me, they will mold somewhat to your sides.

Thanks Herman. Actually there is a very small hole in each pouch where it fastens on to the belt; I'm thinking that a 'bag' of shot wouldn't fit in there, but it's supposed to be poured in. Anyone heard of anything like this?

I'm maybe thinking too much about this, but I don't want to do anything stupid.

Thanks again!

Back
Top Bottom