Cave diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

PaulB

Contributor
Reaction score
Where do you think the best place to go cave diving is? I know we have some pretty nice ones here in Florida. How about in other states?

Well I haven't cave dived in any other caves but the ones here in Florida. From what I've heard the other caves in the US have low vis and/or are sump dives. The caves in Mexico were formed differently as they used to be dry caves, hence the foramtions in them.

Missouri has a couple really nice caves. The water's a little colder than Florida (50 something) but we like em. The vis isn't quit what you can find in Florida but I've seen it as good a 40 ft or so.

Like Florida ther's caves that you need to get in a boat and go down a river to find, also. I haven't been to any of those yet but I will.

MikeFerrara once bubbled...
Missouri has a couple really nice caves. The water's a little colder than Florida (50 something) but we like em. The vis isn't quit what you can find in Florida but I've seen it as good a 40 ft or so.

Like Florida ther's caves that you need to get in a boat and go down a river to find, also. I haven't been to any of those yet but I will.

Mike -- Do you know if there is any cave diving further east? VA has some dry cave systems and I was curious if there was anything worth diving this far north.

Cornfed

cornfed once bubbled...

Mike -- Do you know if there is any cave diving further east? VA has some dry cave systems and I was curious if there was anything worth diving this far north.

Cornfed

As far as I know (and trust me there are lots of caves I don't know about) everything in that area is sumps. At times you can get better vis than many expect though. Some are also suitable for backmount diving. Getting equipment to the sump is often the challenge.

In your area there is a group that calls themselves NEST...(I Think) ...North East Sump Exploration team...or something like that. They would be the ones to contact. You should be able to get contact information through the NSS-CDS since they are a sanctioned project.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom