Diet Soda, bad for you ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Johan Broere

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
" If you experience any of these symptoms when you drink diet soda…STOP! It is known to cause migraines, heart palpitations, insomnia, seizures, breathing difficulties, memory loss, vertigo, joint pain and nausea. These symptoms can lead to many diseases and disorders that I stated above. Airline pilots are not allowed to consume products with Aspartame because of these risks and luckily for us they do not."
I was just googling around and found this. Being middle aged and trying to leave more room for delicious in-between dive snacks the boat crew makes fun of me for drinking diet. I have heard it many times it is not good for you, but these symptoms look like someone has been diving way too much. Airline pilots are special. Nobody wants to fall out of the sky, but I am special too. I have never made the link to any of the symptoms and they do talk about 16 cans of soda per day to get enough aspartame. I really don't care for the taste and if I just drink water I can still eat that extra fish taco. I just read those symptoms again and I do not want them.
60 Minutes did a segment on this also. The commercial airline pilot warning I get, but should scuba divers be more aware also ?

I've just stopped drinking it in general. I'm not 100% sure it's doing harm, but it's certainly not doing any good. Scuba diver or not, I'd rather not consume the stuff anymore.

I've been drinking Diet Pepsi for more than two decades and the only symptom I have is joint pain, but I've had that long before I began drinking Diet Pepsi. Maybe baseball and basketball should be outlawed. :)

Life is terminal.

Everything in the world is bad for you and can kill you. Drinking water, breathing oxygen.... all things we MUST do, can kill us.

Diet Soda will kill you, it may take a hundred years, but....

Seriously, I begged off the stuff many years ago and now restric my beverages to water, juice, beer, wine and whiskey. In that order.

Diet Coke junkie here. Been drinking them hard for 30 years. Drinking about a gallon a day. Quit cold turkey Jan 6 2009. I hurt so bad for days afterwards it made me realize that the stuff had serious side effect. Now I am off it and glad I did it.

Now drinking about a gallon of beer....

" If you experience any of these symptoms when you drink diet soda…STOP! It is known to cause migraines, heart palpitations, insomnia, seizures, breathing difficulties, memory loss, vertigo, joint pain and nausea. These symptoms can lead to many diseases and disorders that I stated above. Airline pilots are not allowed to consume products with Aspartame because of these risks and luckily for us they do not."
I was just googling around and found this. Being middle aged and trying to leave more room for delicious in-between dive snacks the boat crew makes fun of me for drinking diet. I have heard it many times it is not good for you, but these symptoms look like someone has been diving way too much. Airline pilots are special. Nobody wants to fall out of the sky, but I am special too. I have never made the link to any of the symptoms and they do talk about 16 cans of soda per day to get enough aspartame. I really don't care for the taste and if I just drink water I can still eat that extra fish taco. I just read those symptoms again and I do not want them.
60 Minutes did a segment on this also. The commercial airline pilot warning I get, but should scuba divers be more aware also ?

Complete hoax. See Snopes.

(Wait, I saw this on the Internet so it MUST be true).

Back
Top Bottom