Halcyon Pioneer & OMS IQ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

813Diver

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Does anyone know if a Halcyon Pioneer is compatable with OMS's IQ system? Will the Pioneer attatch to the IQ?

I've seen both Halcyon and OMS systems before, however I haven't seen an integrated setup. I'd go with a total Halcyon system, however I like the feel of the IQ.

Thanks.

He has a Pioneer 27# attached to an OMS IQ Pack. He seems to like it.

I use a Pioneer with a Halcyon BP and it works well.

The IQ Pack is a bit more comfy out of the water.

Peter

Does he use any special adapter to attatch the wings to the IQ? I asked the local Halcyon dealer if I would need the single tank adapter and they told me that they "weren't sure since they don't deal much with non-Halcyon tech setups."

I have looked at placing a Halcyon wing on my OMS IQ Paq and here is what I determined. The wing will bolt on fine to the IQ-Pak the same way as a regular OMS wing. However, depending on which generation of IQ Paq you have ditcates if you need a STA or not. The newer OMS backplates and IQ-Paks are rigged to handle Cam bands similar to Halcyon's setup (Cam bands thread through the IQ-Paq and backplate). However, for all older OMS IQ's and backplates, a STA is needed since no slots exist to thread the Cam bands through. I personally prefer a STA as it takes weight off my belt. I am still debating if I should replace my OMS wing with a 36lb Halcyon Pioneer or hold out and wait until OMS's new single tank wing comes out. It appears the OMS wings are more durable than the Pioneer wings.

The OMS plate is compatible with all Halcyon wings (I'm presently using an OMS plate with a Pioneer 36 wing). Using an IQ pack doesn't change the hole spacing of the plate, which is what determines the compatibility with wings. Personally, I started out with an IQ pack, and ultimately got rid of the "backpack" part and am now just using the plate. A _properly_ adjusted harness is just as comfortable as the padded backpack and a lot more secure. One thing I like about the Halcyon plates (as well as Koplin) is the bent lower corners, which do add some comfort when wearing the plates on land. The OMS plate also doesn't have the shoulder slots angled quite the same as Halcyon/Koplin/Abyss plates, which tends to let the plate slide around just a little bit. No big deal, but something to know about if you're shopping for a new plate.

Bottom line, for me, is I'd skip the IQ Pack entirely and just go with a plate, harness and wings (but if you've got your heart set on an IQ Pack, I'd be happy to sell a slightly used one at a very good price :).

Alan

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom