Maui

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

osun92

Reaction score
Just got certified and am going to Maui to dive while on vacation. I have a few boat trips planned but want to do some shore diving also. Any great spots I should try?

..is the Pacific Islands section of this board. I just scrolled through the past threads and it looks like there are a few threads that might be of help. :wink:

You might try posting over there. You may get more specific replies. Natasha frequents the travel boards and might be able to help you out. I believe there are some scubaboarders in Hawaii that might shed some light on your situation as well.

Run a search with the key words "Maui shore" and you will find some good info.
Have fun!

osun92 once bubbled...
Just got certified and am going to Maui to dive while on vacation. I have a few boat trips planned but want to do some shore diving also. Any great spots I should try?
If you just got certified, then you should either have an experienced buddy; or stick to the dive charter boat trips for a while.

If you do have an experienced buddy, then drop by any of the 5 or so Maui Dive shop locations and pick up their free brochure on dive and snorkel locations. Ulua (sp?) is the popular training site in South Maui; Old Airport (across from Sugar Cane Train depot) is the popular training spot in West Maui. Both are interesting, but easy dives.

Another good dive is a night dive at Black Rock, at Kaanapali.

I might suggest Honolua Bay up north of Kapalua. This is in the Maui Dive Guide as previously mentioned. The entry is a bit rocky and you may need to do a bit of a surface swin to get to the nice part of the reef, but its a great reef. It is a marine preserve, so no fishing, spearfishing or feeding the fish which makes it a nice place.

I did a dive at Airport Beach - turn onto Kai Ala Drive between Kaanapali and Honokowai. This is a nice beach - restrooms, showers, sandy entry, easy navigation, etc.

I did my AOW course on Maui - relatively inexpensive, but you get what you pay for. If you are planning to do AOW there, I would buy or rent a computer and do the multilevel/computer dive as part of your training so you don't get the lack of instruction that I apparently got in that regard. A computer will make all the difference for you, especially if you are on a boat, but I would suggested the AOW course first. Get an instructor for a couple dives or buddy up with a divemaster so you get someone to keep an eye on you in case you have any problems.

If you want to dive the Cathedrals at Lanai you will likely need to have AOW since it is over 60 feet deep. Boats to Lanai leave from Mala every morning.

Enjoy....

adjuster-jd once bubbled...
I might suggest Honolua Bay up north of Kapalua.

If you want to dive the Cathedrals at Lanai you will likely need to have AOW since it is over 60 feet deep.
Actually, I don't think that either Hawaiin Rafting or Extended Horizons asks for AOW on their trips to the Lanai Cathedrals. I dove the Cathedrals I and II with Hawaiin Rafting as my 3rd and 5th dives after OW cert. 60 or 80' in a warm water, high visibility places like Maui or Cozumel isn't the same as 60' in a dark, low vis quarry while wearing lots of wetsuit and heavy gloves.

Honolua Bay is not a good spot for diving when there is a N or NW swell. If you see a bunch of surfers, then it's not a good day for diving :). There are some nice arches out near the point on the left (SW) side.

If you take any boat dive on maui it will be guided unless they know you. So an OW diver can do the backwall of molokini or the wreck or caves, any of them. My favorite boat is out of B & B Scuba and I've found them to be very careful yet they'll show you some great things.

For a beginner both Ulua and Airport are good dives and they have the best reefs off to the right. Go out to 40 or so of depth and the reefs get great.

Honolua is a must do for shore dives. So is the beach just before it at Slaughterhouse. That's the beach with the green metal hand railing that leads down.

A shore dive at 5 caves is good but during the summer it's most likely suffereing effects of the summer south swell. A guide helps here.

I really liked Molokini crater. I do however agree that you should go with a DM for this dive. you have one any way due to the distance from shore, you'll need to have a dive opertor take you out.:wink:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom