Blue Heron Bridge Poachers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

danvolker

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
My wife Sandra was just at the Blue Heron Bridge area doing macro photography on sunday. I freedived with her there for a few minutes, before moving on to the inlet...but is the first few minutes, we saw a large number of Tropical fish collectors netting rare species. Most of these collectors appear to be diving from a few good sized live aboard style sailboats, that are anchored right over the area they want to collect fish from, and all the photographers and sight seeing divers are enjoying the rare fish in....
It was my understanding that this are has become a Marine Sanctuary, but at one of the local dive shops, I have heard that it is only a sanctuary if the diver uses the beach at the park to enter or exit the water----that if the tropical fish collector uses a boat and never sets foot on shore, they can poach fish with impunity.

Does anyone know the REAL Law on what protection the Sanctuary status the Bridege area is supposed to have, will convey to the marine life in this "ever more popular" dive site.

Thanks,
Dan V

You are there watching that happen. Use your cell phone and call the marine patrol and ask them.

If it is legal, the most you can do if you are up to it, is to play "Green Peace" and disturb their catch by diving very close to them or clicking the camera flash over and over. Not my style but hey.

If it is NOT legal, then get the boat name and maybe even engage in conversation with them until a patrol shows up.

While I do not know the regulations at BHB, I'm reasonably certain it is a no take zone. That said I have run into enough poachers over the years that I keep the FWC Violation phone # programmed into my cellphone, they would be able to clear up the legality of the situation and hopefully act in time if someone is in fact poaching.

FWC Violations 888-404-3922
Program it into your phones, FWC is pretty shorthanded and could use our help catching poachers.

I believe I read that this was a county park and jurisdiction was an iffy situation depending on the situation at hand. I also heard that this was a no take zone as are most county or state parks regardless of how you enter the water. Collection/poaching/molesting or any illegal wildlife violation falls within the FWC Jurisdiction and should be reported. For collecting of ornamental fishes the standard fishing license is required and there are regulations per species as far as size and amounts just like fishing. The sizes and other info can be found on the FWC website.

In lieu of corking off a few warning shots at these miscreants, would not the Riviera Beach Police Marine Patrol at 561-845-4123 provide a quicker response? They usually like this kind of stuff.

Where is the ordinance that prohibits collection? I would like to read it and try to understand how the boundaries of the park are delineated and also understand what the panalties are for violation.

Certainly both recreational and commercial tropical fish collectors are legaly entitled to land tropical fish at the Phil Foster boat ramps, yes?

Where is the ordinance that prohibits collection? I would like to read it and try to understand how the boundaries of the park are delineated and also understand what the panalties are for violation.

Certainly both recreational and commercial tropical fish collectors are legaly entitled to land tropical fish at the Phil Foster boat ramps, yes?

Ahhhha Hopefully the answer to your question is NO. This area is a mecca for the unusual bringing divers from all over to experience the sight of animals that cannot be found elsewhere & in such variety. Interfere with that & the imbalance could be permanent . Already we are concerned what the construction will do to this very unique area.
PS I also feel that collecting here is like shooting a sleeping hogfish

There is a no take law at the Blue Heron Park. It is not a county park, It is a state park. If you are caught taking From the park as a diver or snorkling you well be ticketed. If I see you you will be caught I will and have made the call. Stood there until the Park Ranger came and did his thing. It is a no no.

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom