Why - not to let your kids learn to dive !!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DeputyDan

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Was in Yorktown, Va this week. At the battlefield visitors center they are constructing a British cargo ship wreck exhibit.

My 12 year old went to great lengths in explaining (to the staff there) how bad the exhibit was and how many things were wrong with it. (We dive wrecks but don't enter them). Even though she was right it was one of those embarassing parent moments.

Later at the hotel, a group with kids had visited an aquarium and science center. My 12 year old wanted to know if you could get in the tanks and interact with the fish, etc. They all looked at her like she was nuts and she thought they were nuts for spending time looking rather than diving.

Life just isn't the same once you dive..........

:)

I can just imagine how my kids will be when I have some. When I go to an aquarium I am playing fish id, naming all the fish. People think I'm nuts.

I'm busy making faces at them! LMAO :wink:

But I know what you mean. Things on tv, movies, in books, etc that contain anything about diving, I find myself nit picking it and finding everything that they did wrong.

Our family was recently in Florida and I did several dives (hey Florida Conch Divers!)

anyway, on one of our visits to Epcot we had lunch at the Living Seas. The working divers were down and spent some time at the glass saying hi to the diners in the area. My 12 daughter who has been in SSI Scub Rangers and is presently getting OW certified saw the divers and said to me:

"Dad, look at their octo's and consoles dragging around on everything!"

I was SOOO proud that she noticed that and actually paid attention to my advice. Lucky for me and her mother that she didn't shout it out though....

DeputyDan once bubbled...
Was in Yorktown, Va this week. At the battlefield visitors center they are constructing a British cargo ship wreck exhibit.

My 12 year old went to great lengths in explaining (to the staff there) how bad the exhibit was and how many things were wrong with it. (We dive wrecks but don't enter them). Even though she was right it was one of those embarassing parent moments.

Later at the hotel, a group with kids had visited an aquarium and science center. My 12 year old wanted to know if you could get in the tanks and interact with the fish, etc. They all looked at her like she was nuts and she thought they were nuts for spending time looking rather than diving.

Life just isn't the same once you dive..........

:)
What I find a tough call is how you back them up without appearing a)overindulgent to child, b)obxnious, c)know-it-all

I opt for neutrality of, but doesn't everyone know that?????

Good on her, for having the confidence to speak up!!

Charlie99 once bubbled...
Here's another viewpoint........

"Why I Do NOT Train Kids", by Larry "Harris" Taylor, aka Dive Geek.

http://www-personal.umich.edu/~lpt/kids.htm

Very good information. I wonder what an appropriate age would be. Do you wait until formal operations is established? Good many questions, and no answers. Interesting how pregnant women aren't allowed to dive b/c of the lack of studies involving pressure on fetuses, yet the same lack of studies involving children diving does not present the same limitations. Apples and oranges? Maybe. However, as a parent it's your responsibility to make that decision, not me.

Back
Top Bottom