Ikelite Port Recommendations for Tokina 35mm Macro

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

marcaumarc

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I just got the Tokina 35mm Macro and it isn't on the Nikon SLR Port Chart. I would love to know what the recommended dome port and flat port options would be for this lens. It is 7.3 cm diameter and extends about 7.5 cm long when focused down to 1:1 (fully extended).

For what it's worth, I have the 8" dome with the 5510.10 for my Tokina 10-17 and the 5502.41 flat port for 60mm macro. If the recommended ports are different, I would also be interested to know what the advantage is.

-Mark

Based on your measurements, the ports you currently have will work.

The 5502.41 flat port is only 1/2" longer than the suggested #5502 port, so that additional length shouldn't make a difference. Based on your position relative to the sun and also your strobe placement, it is possible but unlikely that you will have reflection problems.

The #5510.10 port body is 3/4" shorter than the recommended #5510.16 port body. Using the #5510.10 port body will probably only give you about 1/4" distance of relief between the end of the lens and the dome center. If your edges appear a little soft, try closing down the aperture. If the softness continues, you may need to get the longer #5510.16 port body.

Last edited:
Thanks. The 7.5 cm in my original post was my own measurement of the lens when fully extended, from the front of the camera (i.e., not counting the part of the bayonet that was inside the camera). If it was fully extended just sitting on a table including the bayonet, it would be close to 8cm.

Back
Top Bottom