Does instructor's age matter?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

W8less

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
If you were interviewing an instructor for a course would you be more or less comfortable with an older instructor (were talking 60's).

The instructor to be is; very experienced (41 years) in all but cave environments, is very physically fit and looks it, has an AI cert and has been a professional instructor in other sports (tele skiing, in line skate racing) and has been told by peers that he would make a good SCUBA instructor.

On first impression does age have any bearing on credibility, either way???????

First you say he's an instructor, then you say he's an assistant instructor. I wouldn't hire an AI to teach.

I doubt age would play much of a role in any decision of that nature I would make. I'd be looking for someone who doesn't teach bare minimums. If he also has more experience, that's a plus.

One of my instructors is mid to late 60's, the other is mid 30's. Our university has the older one *who is also aquatics director* teach the advanced stuff, DM thru Instructor, the younger guy teaches OW and AOW, but also does some speciality course stuff and is actively involved in all of the advanced stuff. Basically he's a big kid, full of energy, and all that and we have fun with both of them. Older guy has a killer amount of experience, but has since become limited with his cave diving and deep stuff due to something he got a few years ago that makes deco somewhat of a problem.

I would look for experience and ask how long they've been teaching. You could contact their agency or ask to see their card, which might have an "instructor since" date but I don't know since this isn't something I did.

I bring it up because of this reason: I'm 47 and just got my OW cert last week. What's to say I couldn't go through and progress to instructor in a short time and then get a job as one.
You meet me and visually, your first impression of me - out of water, may be one of a mature instructor with a lot of experience in pretty good shape for his age.....but you may actually be my very first student.

Last edited:
I do not think ase is an issue, as long as the instructor is passionate about what he/she is teaching.

If you were interviewing an instructor for a course would you be more or less comfortable with an older instructor (were talking 60's).

The instructor to be is; very experienced (41 years) in all but cave environments, is very physically fit and looks it, has an AI cert and has been a professional instructor in other sports (tele skiing, in line skate racing) and has been told by peers that he would make a good SCUBA instructor.

On first impression does age have any bearing on credibility, either way???????

I'd say to be less concerned about his age than about his knowledge, skill level, attitude, ability to teach, and compatibility with your learning style.

From the wording of your post and a quick look at your profile I have to ask ... are you asking this about yourself ... as in do we think others would find you credible as an instructor? If so my best advice is simply this ... just be yourself. No matter what your age, that's the best route to credibility ... especially to students.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Age doesn't matter to me. Experience matters, and how they approach diving. My first instructor has a PADI number with three digits and made sure we came out of OW ready to really start diving -- which I've learned since is rare.

When I am looking for an Instructor I tend to go by reputation and advice from divers and other instructors I trust. I always discus how the course will be taught and try to assess the instructors style. Most of the guys who have taught me are older, although I was more than happy to let a 24 year old teach my kids (on his boss,s recommendation).
The only instructor I ever had an issue with was in her 50s and had a bad back so needed help with her gear.

When I evaluate an instructor, I base it more on how long they have been a diver rather than age or how long they have been teaching. It tells me how much real world experience they have diving.... that to me is a BIG factor in teaching scuba. (I have met many 50-60yr old instructors in the past few years and many of them are new to the sport.)

Our OW instructor 10 yrs ago was young, 28 at the time, but he had been diving since a 18 and was passionate about the sport in every sense. He was also the Course Director for his region of US and he had been diving all over the world. His enthusiasm and joy and skills infected the whole class, so much so my husband decided he must become an instructor right there the first day! He became a DM that first year we were certified and is now an instructor and a very good one (teaching 4 yrs now). Having been diving all over the world, he has real life experience to share with his students along with his skills as an instructor.

robin:D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom