Tank neck weight

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DSJ

Reaction score
I can only move my tank up so far on my BC due to the molded backpack, so I use two ankle weights around the tank neck to trim out. It works fairly well, but it does make turning the tank knob a bit more difficult as they ride up fairly close under it.

In my 3mm suit I only need a couple 2lb weights in my ditchable pockets so I don't have anything to move to the trim pockets on the BC. They are fairly low anyway so wouldn't have much of an effect.

I was wondering if there is any manufactured or DIY weight that does the same job with a smaller profile?

David.

Are you using an aluminum tank? If so, try switching to steel if possible - they are more negative in the water than aluminum, and you might find this solves your problem. Rent one and give it a try.

I'm sure I could find lighter fins, but I like my Jet Fins.

I believe I was using steel tanks when I needed the weights. At any rate I will be at the mercy of the dive operation I go to on vacation, so I want to be able to handle it myself.

The ankle weights aren't that much of a bother, just enough to wonder about a better way. I could probably make my own replacement if I had to, but I figured I would see if anyone else has already done the work.

Soft bar solder is soft enough to wrap around a tank neck, and will have about 1/2 the bulk per pound as shot ankle weights. They'll self retain too. Generally bar solders come in 12" to 36" bars about 3/8" thick x 1/2 to 3/4" wide.

Try a google search for Kesler Bar Solder.

FT

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom