Backplate systems, expensive or cheap?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
I've read a number of articles on BCs that say backplates are typically cheaper than back inflate or jacket BCs. However, when I have priced a Halycon or Deep Outdoors system, they were expensive before I added weight integration and afterward were exorbinant! How do you BP divers get around this? Where would you go to build a good rig? Details would be especially helpful because this is not rhetorical, I actually want to do it.

Thanks!

Get an aftermarket backplate and harness kit such as a FredT, Scott Koplin or Gary Hoadley plate - I don't know Fred's prices offhand (he is a user on ScubaBoard - PM him and ask), but Gary sells on eBay as gfh3, and has aluminum backplates and harness kits for under $100. That includes slots for a Halcyon wing.

Then you need a wing - either buy a new one from Halcyon, pick up a used one on eBay, or wait for the new Oxycheq or OMS single tank wings.

Use a weightbelt, or pick up a used ACB20 system from eBay (the ACB30 is way bulky).

Or just buy the whole lot from eBay - there's often full rigs either new or used on there.

I am going to get a Fred T plate....he has a whole list of prices...and he makes a ton of different plates and accessories.

Then I am probably going to get a 27# halcyon pioneer from Fifth D....

The webbing and hardware I'll either get a reefscuba or lowes or a climbing stor or somewhere......

Of course, I have a house I'm closing on in August, so I am kind of gun-shy on spending $$ I know I might very well need at the time being and this purchase could get pushed off to tax-return time.

I am in the market for a plate and wing as well although I will only use mine for my doubles. I'll keep my back inflation bc for singles which should eliminate the need for two wings. With the weight of my 95's I think I can get away with an aluminum plate??
I've looked at most rigs including OMS,Abysmal'Halcyon,and most induviduals making their own and honestly DiveRite seems to have have a pretty good set up at a reasonable price. Does anyone have any Comments or experiences?thanks!

I can highly recommend a Fred T plate. I dive a SS BP from him and have ordered one in aluminum. When you order, get a finished one since he does a very good finish job. It is not that much extra and it will save your webbing over time.

I buy the webbing kit from Halcyon, but I think Fred also sells a webbing and D-ring kit.

Once I started to dive with a BP/Wing setup, I see no real reason to dive any other configuration. It is very comfortable.

sincerely

Anders

BP/Harness is definitely the way to go. Comfortable, relatively inexpensive when compared to traditional BC's, infinitely adjustable, flexible and streamlined.:)

Back
Top Bottom