Sick of being face down, aren't BCs also PFDs?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

GlockDiver

Contributor
Reaction score
Ok, so I've only been diving with an older jacket-style BCD (I'm still in OW training). I am sick of going to the top for instruction and constantly looking dumb because I have to fight to keep my face out of water, which causes me to move forward. So while the instructor speaks, I'm swimming circles around the group. Might make me look hard core, but I hate it.

Anyway, does anyone know who the genius was who designed these things like that? I mean, shouldn't BCs work like a type-1 PFD??? You wouldn't want an unconscious dive coming up and laying face down. I simply can't figure that out.

Maybe I'm weighted wrong. I dunno. I know I have a hell of a lot to learn, and a lifetime of diving yet to do, but these consarn jacket BCDs are making me angry.

It's a scuba device, not a personal flotation device. They're designed to work underwater and not on the surface, which is why the Coast Guard does not certify them as a PFD.

I prefer a back inflate, and that allows me to just rest on my back on the surface, legs out in front of me. I haven't worn a jacket BC in almost 2 years, and that was just after I was certified, so a jacket BC user can tell you how to rest on the surface easily :)

You might try deflating your BC a bit...I noticed that a fully inflated BC can be quite unstable on the surface. Just a bit of air to keep you positive might do the trick.

Sounds like you may be grossly overweighted. My old jacket BC will float me at almost mid torso if I fill it up. I would suggest you get your instructor aside and do a proper bouyancy check. Back inflates will tend to do the opposite and put you face down if you overinflate them.

Most jackets should float you vertical in the water as the lift is more under the arms and fuller usually means more vertical at the surface. Some weight integrated jackets have the weight pockets a bit far forward and this can tip you foward a bit. In these cases usong a weight belt instead can help as it puts the weight closer to your center of gravity when vertical in the water.

Some larger back floatation BC's and wings can float you face down if overfilled, particularly with a single tank. With doubles they tend to keep you much straighter in the water. With a single tank, trim weights near the tank can help a lot.

If you still have problems with either a jacket or wing, you can add a cam band with a 5# weight on it to the tank. This is essentially a trim weight and can help to keep you upright on the surface. the weight can als be moved up or down on the tank to some degress to provide trim under the water.

I have owned Sherwood Magnum (1988), Sherwood Genesis (1992?), and never had this problem. Have also used numerous US Divers, Dacor, ScubaPro, SeaQuest, weight integrated. Only times I have come near to this problem, it was a weight issue (lead not fat).

Will check my weight at the next dive. I was having trouble getting below surface during an confined water dive, so I added weight. Perhaps I added too much. Lots to learn. :)

Thanks all.

It does sound that you are overweighted. If you are having trouble getting down, make sure you are not over breathing (Filling your lungs full of air) and make sure you have the air that can get trapped in your wetsuit purged (flushed with water). You should also try weighting yourself for the conditions at the end of your dive. (Being able to hover at 10-15ft with around 500psi left with little to no air in your bc. Hovering is also in a horizontal position!)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom