Sexual Misconduct from an Instructor

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
I work in a dive center which recently hired an instructor from overseas, everything on paper seemed to make him a suitable candidate for the job.
On the first day I was out diving with him, he grabbed me sexually in front of the customers. I voiced this to the manager who addressed this with him.

The following day someone diving with him mentioned that he had seen him touch a student near the groin which he claimed was accidental, I found out later that he had also groped another female colleague.
He claims this is common practice in Malta where he worked.
After addressing this with the manager he was fired but is sending insolent text messages to him.

He is a certified instructor with 6 different agencies and I am concerned that his behaviour will put students and staff at risk at the next place he will be working in. As he is still on the island and sending abusive messages could anyone advise what steps we should take to prevent this from happening in the future?
Could anyone give me some suggestions on what steps to follow?

I appreciate any advice from fellow divers and professionals

My impression is that Thai law enforcement wouldn't be very helpful, but you would know better. I'd report him to the agencies that license him to teach and encourage the other victims to do the same. Presumably he will have the benefit of some sort of due process, after which he will be stripped of his license and will have to find some other place to ply his perversion.

Last edited:
I would report him to the law and to all six of his agencies.

Yup..

It's a no brainer!

Get signed letters from anyone involved outlining what was done, what was said to him and that the conduct continued! File a police report of the incidents and then fire the copies of all letters, and police report to each and every training agency he is instructing for.

If your shop hired him, then you control every aspect of his work permit. Specifically, you can have it revoked, and him deported. That takes care of the texts.

Every training agency as some sort of QA program. Make a proper no-nonsense report of his behavior to each of his training agencies. Maybe he has been reported before, and the training agencies are waiting for verification of his behavior before they pull his creds. Maybe you will be the first to report his behavior, and he will go on to elsewhere, but elsewhere will report him too.

I can assure you that it is NOT common practice in Malta or anywhere else to grab your co-workers or clients in a sexually threatening way. We may be a bit prudish in the US with our nudity taboos, but touchy-feeley taboos are everywhere.

Frank

Report him. Not every person will come forward but if enough are willing to, eventually something will be done.

And save the insolent text messages. They might be useful as additional evidence.

I work in a dive center which recently hired an instructor from overseas, everything on paper seemed to make him a suitable candidate for the job.
On the first day I was out diving with him, he grabbed me sexually in front of the customers. I voiced this to the manager who addressed this with him.

The following day someone diving with him mentioned that he had seen him touch a student near the groin which he claimed was accidental, I found out later that he had also groped another female colleague.
He claims this is common practice in Malta where he worked.
After addressing this with the manager he was fired but is sending insolent text messages to him.

He is a certified instructor with 6 different agencies and I am concerned that his behaviour will put students and staff at risk at the next place he will be working in. As he is still on the island and sending abusive messages could anyone advise what steps we should take to prevent this from happening in the future?
Could anyone give me some suggestions on what steps to follow?

I appreciate any advice from fellow divers and professionals

I take it you are in a dive centre in Thailand. If this is the case, I would advise you to use your judgement, don't put yourself in an awkward or hazardous position. I have some knowledge of how people who get involved may find themselves in a bit of bother in that part of the world. Depending on what sort of a standing this instructor has with his employers, he may wield some power (the dive centre may be run by people more powerful than the police or the police may have some stake in the dive centre).

Consult the certifying agencies and report your concerns. If you wish to remain anonymous, mention the circumstances to the agencies.

Back
Top Bottom