Talk Radio... underwater...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

PvtStash

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I'd like to find a way to listen to my AM radio talkshows while quarry-cruisin' for hrs at a time...

Google search isnt producing much... anyone find a practical workaround that makes this possible ?

maybe jus' a cheap radio w/ standard earbud headphones, multiple sandwhich baggies and lotsa duct tape?

there are several waterproof enclosures for small noise makers with water proof ear phones. Apple makes one and there are others. my wife loves hers to swim with. check rated depth and have all the noise you like underwater.

It's easy to find headphones and a dry bag for mp3 players:

MP3 Players | Scuba MP3 Players, Waterproof MP3 Players at LeisurePro.com

Those items (top two on the page) would almost certainly work with an mp3/radio combination device too. I guess it's a question of whether you'd get reception below. I wouldn't expect to, but I suppose you could tow around an antenna.

Personally, you couldn't pay me to listen to talk radio, but to each his own. Good luck.

MP3 ones... but its lookin' like Radio (especially AM) isnt a viable option... :(

What little I recall about AM, I'm going to hazard a guess that you wont get a signal beyond a few feet. AM has poor penetration capabilities plus you can pretty much forget line-of-site if you are in a quarry.

What Skipper John said. Maybe you should take up another sport if diving is so boring to you that you need some audio stimulation while participating in it.

I'd like to find a way to listen to my AM radio talkshows while quarry-cruisin' for hrs at a time...

Depends on the talkshow, I suppose ... I don't personally think I'd want to listen to something that's intended to make me angry while I was diving ... :shocked2:

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

From what I remember about radio wave theory, even if you found a reciever unless you run an antenna up to your dive flag you're not going to get anything except static, RF energy doesn't penetrate water very well.

You could always subscribe to a podcast of your favorite programs and then upload them to your mp3 player for listening at your leisure. Someone posted a link a while back about the waterproof Ipod cover and earbuds for use on long deco stops.

Back
Top Bottom