reef shark(photo) @ carysfort

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

reefman

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
observed this resting or sleeping carribean reef shark(2 sharks initially, one departing quickly and the other lying around for nearly 15 minutes)(i believe the smaller fish are juvenille glassy sweepers)(neon gobies were also seen further back on the shark but were unable to be photographed without disturbing the animal) while diving sunday under a ledge @ south carysfort reef in 74ft(the shark was orientated headfirst into a slight to mdt reverse current). this is the fourth time iv'e observed pelagic reef sharks lying on the sand beneath this coral outcrop in the past 3 months or so. my question is; has anyone else on this board observed such behavior?? the photo was provided by my dive buddy tim,,,,,,,,

reefman
key largo

Attachments

• _DSC5213-6.jpg
    _DSC5213-6.jpg
    110.1 KB · Views: 152
I have seen this behavior before. If the current is strong enough to provide water flow over the gills they will find a spot to rest. Although it is more prevelant in other species like sand tigers & white tips.

It's very common up in Jupiter. Here's a couple of similar shots.

jupiterapril2007crw_3563a.jpg

jupiterapril2007crw_3555a.jpg

And here is professional underwater photographer Walt Stearns going for the shot:

jupiterapril2007crw_3567a.jpg

COOL!
Thanks for posting the pics.
They are wonderful.
Chug

I saw this today as a matter of fact. about 40 minutes into the Tunnels drop off JDC. Guy was hanging out there without a care in the world, unmoving. Was an experience to remember.

I'd bet the ranch those pics debersole posted were at Tunnels. I call those my little special needs sharks because they just lie there not matter how close you get. My husband shot a fish there and they woke up for a free meal. When they decided there would be no handouts they went back under the ledge and rested again. They do not need current to do this. They will pump water into their gills. Here is a video I took near Hole in the Wall, Jupiter. This Sandbar Shark was resting at 132 ft. You can see the gills moving. Excuse the quality, I'm not a videographer and it's a point and shoot camera.

YouTube - sleeping sandbar shark in Jupiter

I'd bet the ranch those pics debersole posted were at Tunnels. I call those my little special needs sharks because they just lie there not matter how close you get. My husband shot a fish there and they woke up for a free meal. When they decided there would be no handouts they went back under the ledge and rested again. They do not need current to do this. They will pump water into their gills. Here is a video I took near Hole in the Wall, Jupiter. This Sandbar Shark was resting at 132 ft. You can see the gills moving. Excuse the quality, I'm not a videographer and it's a point and shoot camera.

YouTube - sleeping sandbar shark in Jupiter

that is an interesting video, the shark is exposed rather than being under a ledge

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom