First time out...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The Chairman

Chairman of the Board
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
Two+ years ago I won a OMER speargun (Carbonium 100) that was not fully rigged at Sheri Day's "Into the Blue Wild" Spearfishing Show. I hem and I hawed as I really didn't want to embarrass myself with a new skill, but I have gotten over all that.

So, with some trepidation, I have asked a friend to guide me on this first Spear Safari Saturday morning. I have to rig the line first and he has agreed to help me with that as well the night before.

So, for a noob spearo, what tips and techniques would you want me to concentrate on? FWIW, my buoyancy, trim and ability to sneak/spot fish are fine. I will also be bringing my lobster snare. So what are YOUR secrets to early success?

I'm sure you have more experience with diving than I even have with water, so take the following for what it's worth.... absolutely nothing. One thing I learned early (early is relative) to not look at the fish directly. Also, know your fish I.D. and creel limits. Third, I've never used an Omer, so I don't know how easy it would be to set up a free shaft, but if you're hunting on a reef and have decent visibility, I would recommend free-shafting. I've just recently started free-shafting and it makes a world of difference. Obviously, if you're shooting an AJ, any form of Tuna, or if you can't see the bottom, you would need to make sure the shock line is connected to the spear. Hope that helps... I'm sure someone else will chime in soon with better tips, but I just figured I would throw that out there... Good Luck!!!!

NetDoc. . . Relax and flow with the water. You belong there, and you're not going to get too excited when you see your first fish. Don't focus your body language on one fish, this transmits further than you can shoot. Let your buddy pick out a fish, approach indirectly, and if you can move slightly deeper. When you're in range watch sideways with your body pointed away from your chosen fish. If the fish isn't disturbed watch for the best shot.

When you move with the fish, you won't have to make snap shots at fleeing fish. Watch your buddy. . . When you have confidence, you have easy shots, when your emotions make you worry about "getting supper" the fish are more difficult targets, because they "feel" the difference in how you're moving the water.

ok i know some one will yell when i say this. but your going to have to hold your breath, i know it goes aginst all thing scuba but do it, those bouble will spook warry fish like grouper. dont worry about it if your going for AJ's, dumb as bricks.
also dont do what i did, shoot the biggest AJ on the wreck your first trip out, good way to learn fast but man did that hurt.
hope that helps

Where are you diving Pete?

I have students shoot flattened aluminum cans for their first few shots, to get the feel for the range and accuracy of the gun, and the mechanics of shooting and reloading. Hold the gun like a pistol, fully extended with a locked elbow. Be ready for a moderate recoil.

In most of FL I'd be looking for hogfish as a first fish target. Perhaps magrove snapper next. Don't even think about pelagics yet. Good way to get hurt and break a small/medium gun like an Omer 100. It will shoot pretty well inside 10 feet or so, but it's a rail gun, designed to be shot with a line, most commonly used by freedivers, but it will be ok on scuba too.

Get a hoop stringer for your fish, or carry a lobster bag they'll fit in if that's what you have. A stiletto dive knife would be good along with tough gloves.

After the shot pin the fish down, avoid pulling on the line or lifting the spear. String it through the eyes or grab it by the throat, through the gills. Secure it and kill it, before pulling the shaft out.

Have a blast!

Chad

be faster at spoting and shotting all speros are hugs so out fish your buddy and boat check the good fish jk have fun

I've got one buddy in particular who after all these years STILL thinks he can swim faster than a fish. I can't tell you how many times I've given him a piece of my mind about this but I digress...
They will always be able to outswim you so approach them as non-threatening and calmly as you can, pick your shot, and take it while trying your best not to spook them. I guess that sounds kind of obvious, but on more occasions than I care to count, he's shot off from next to me with a 36" biller (while I'm holding a 49" riffe nonetheless) and thinks he's going to catch up to that grouper that's swimming for its life away from us as fast as it can manage. He doesn't spear all that many fish, but I guess that goes without say... :)

Pete did a good job. Aside from getting 3 lobsters today; Pete shot a hogfish with his first trigger pull ever. He patiently waited for his shot, and got close enough to the fish to hit it right behind the eye. Most times, new hunters are in a hurry to get the shot off, and miss. Pete was patient, and stalked the fish, and waited for a good clean shot. Got it with a nice downward angle, and pinned the fish to the sand with his spear.

Back
Top Bottom