Good value diving in the maldives and what time?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

missnaomibird

Registered
Reaction score
Hello

I am looking to do a livebaord in the Maldives. I want to get the best value, and most amazing trip I can. I wondered whether it is cheaper to get a flight out and try and arrange a liveaboard directly or to get a package from here.

I know Toby Backhurst offers the Monsoon doing the Northern Atols. You take a sea plane to get up a little further, has anyone done this/is it worth the extra money.

Obviously it always good to have anice boat, but as long as the food is ok, the diving is safe and the staff nice then I don't need super luxury.

Any ideas welcome. I can go anytime from now until Januray and really want to see Manta Rays and Whale sharks so any advice on timings or routes is also welcome.

thanks

Naomi

Hi. I see you've asked the same question a few times and I've asked a mod to merge. (If no one can answer your question the first time, they won't know anymore when you ask several times. :wink: )

You may not be getting answers because your question is a little broad and there are an awful lot of liveaboards in the Maldives. (Everyone wants amazing diving, no one wants a liveaboard with poor food and staff and unsafe diving. Or poor value, though we don't know what good value is to you or your budget.) And knowledge of liveaboards in the Maldives is more limited on this board than say, liveaboards in the Caribbean. But if you do a seach with "maldives liveaboard" for keywords you will find some information to start with, including several discussions of some liveaboard operators that have been problematic and possibly some information on the seasons and animals.

Personally, I've been on the Manthiri and while it was fine (I've reviewed it someplace in one of those threads that will turn up) I would probably consider the Aggressor or Peter Hughes boat next time. But that doesn't really help you much.

As far as booking something once you get there, I could be completely wrong but I don't think that would work well in the Maldives. (I don't even know if they'd let you in the country without having something lined up, as there are restrictions on where they allow tourists.) I certainly wouldn't try it from the US, it's far too long a flight to get there and not have things work out. I don't know where you are (you might consider filling out your profile so when you say "get a package from here" we know where "here" is.) Maybe if you'd been there before and knew the area and culture really well and the right people to talk to it could work. There are places like Cairns Australia where you could reasonably call around or wander down the street and check out what the last minute deals are, and do ok. Male doesn't strike me as that kind of place.

i wasn't sure if I was posting it in the right place as the Maldives doesn't seem quite to fit in any gerographic location listed so that why i have put the message out a bit. Thank you for your help. I have had a look at the postings which were helpful but i suppose I was just hoping to stumble across some person who knows all there is to know out there about the Maldives. Thanks again and will put a trip report out there once I get back.

Naomi

yeah, I know the Maldives posts are located all over the place. But as far as reading the board, I think most people use "New Posts" rather than looking at individual subforums so cross posting doesn't really make more people see a question, if anything it just confuses things. The subforums just provide some organization and (hopefully) make it easier to find something specific.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom